I have a cry baby!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandelyn, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    This one little black Maran girl is screaming her little head off! She has insisted that I am momma. I tried telling her the stuffed skunk is. She is insisting the 3 week old chicks are momma. No! The skunk! The other two are quite content with the stuffed skunk. But there it is, that loud peeping for momma I can hear through the floor boards. I have a cardboard barrier set up in the brooder to keep the older chicks away while the new hatch learns about life outside of the egg. But this little black one, she is something else! She was the first one out. I knew she was going to be trouble when she started hollering for me inside the incubator, and changed her peeping noises from distress to content when she saw me. She has two splash friends. They're not acting like this.

She runs to me hand when I reach in. She has no protest when I pick her up. She knows my "momma hen" noises when my hand makes a fuss at the food and water dishes. She grasped the concept quickly. She prefers my company even though I try to be "low impact" in my chick rearing to avoid this cry baby nonsense. I only go in to add food, check on everyone, and clean shavings from the water bowls. About 3 times a day.

She is 4 days old now, still insistent that I need to go get her and hold her.

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Ahhhh sounds like my lavendar silkie baby.

3. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    So...have you considered raising a house hen?

4. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I had one of those, now she's a giant Cochin with babies of her own and still pesters me for attention. I'm glad she doesn't fly well or she'd be competing for space on my head and shoulders with my spoiled EE roo!

5. naturegrrl

naturegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Sounds like an excellent lap-chicken to me! [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Awwwwww go love on that baby!

7. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

that reminds me of when mine were in the brooder in my living room when they were babies. when we were in there watching tv they'd be fine, quietly going about their business. but when we'd go to bed all 6 of them cried for us so loud that we could hear it in the bedroom with the door shut. sometimes I'd go out there and talk to them, but they only calmed down until I left.

sooo cute!

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    make sure she isnt ill and not getting enough nutrition etc... that makes a cry baby.... hungry or cold..etc... (watch for signs of Cocci)...marans are more sensitive to this problem.... just an FYI

9. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    ohh, she sounds like my little Sassy Pants! i agree that she sounds like a great lap chicken. my girl used to sit on the glider with me.

10. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    One of my white silkie chicks was like this for the first week. He squaked ALL THE TIME. He's finally quieted down, but still runs for my hand every time it goes in. [​IMG]

Enjoy your baby! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by