I Have A Dilemma!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Evelle, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i have a 2 month old cochin barred rock cross
    hes very happy and very adventurious i once found him round the corner of my street.
    hes just a little guy momma is still taking good care of him (when he doesnt pull a houdini)
    hes one of my fav chickens hes the one and only serviver of my (hen) hatchlings this year.

theres just one problem
    he has a crook beek i hand feed him every night just so i know he get a full crop for the whole night and he spills half the food on the ground and grabs my hand the other half the time he is eating
    now my problem is
    is it more of a hassle to keep him around thinking some day his beek will get so bad that he wont be able to eat or am i just being a worry wort and he will do fine another do i really want him in the flock with this gentic problem with my hens?
    he is my first and only hatched egg from a hen and close to my heart
    WHAT SHOULD I DO??? i need some pushes in the right direction..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want a pet, keeep him as a pet, but I wouldn't raise any babies from his genes. It would be a waste since you don't want a whole flock of crossbeaks that need handfeeding. If you don't want him as a pet, cull him somehow whether it is finding another person who is willing to have a pet chicken or the stewpot [​IMG]

But if you just want a roo to warn the flock, go ahead and keep him.

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    if you love him...keep him......if you arent that attachatted to him, maybe you could find him another home

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    sometimes we must make choices that r hard for us but better for our chicken family. he may even have defects internally that u dont even know about,and it may be possible they are passsed on to the babys... i dont know one roo that will pass up the chance to mate,so eventually he will prolly have babies and u may be stuck with more than one messed up roo...however only u know ur love for him,so no matter what we say its u that has to be able to live with ur decision...good luck

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    As much as you like him, it would be more humane to put him down. He's unlikely to be able to eat on his own, and as someone else mentioned, may have other internal problems as well. It will be hard, but putting him down is really best.

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thank you.. this is such a hard desision [​IMG]
    i really dont want this going around my flock.. [​IMG]
    and im afraid some day it might be harder for him to eat later on the older he gets the worse it gets...
    [​IMG] why does it have to be so hard to make a choice [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

another when he gets older he might have some hens follow him and he doesnt stay in the yard... thats my biggest worry
    i see him in the road all the time. [​IMG]

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    he could get better. you never know. i would give him a chance (if it were me) [​IMG]

8. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would give him a chance as well. If you are really attached to him is there any way you could isolate him from the rest of your chickens? Build a small pen near the others so he can still interact somewhat with them? I would not let him breed the hens.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    so sorry. It is all about your intention. You want a pet you can have one but is very dependent on you to survive. He can make it more than likely with you only bc most would put him down for future health issues. Sorry [​IMG]

10. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I have 2 crossbeaks myself, a silkie mix and a hatchery sexlink, and both eat without my help. I do have to trim their beaks and both of them are extreme crossbeaks. I offer them wet mash often and polyvisol (without iron) for vitamins just in case they don't get enough. I keep them both with my bantams so they don't get picked on and I feed them in a deep feeder. Both are the sweetest little chickens!

Don't give up hope - there are plenty off crossbeaked chickens that live long, happy lives. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by