I have a dilemma.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkiesForEver, Dec 29, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    My dilemma is this: I have a year and a half old, Silkie hen named Minnie. She went broody when she was about 8 months old at her previous owners home (who had roosters). She hatched one chick, but eventually it got nabbed by a raccoon. When she came to live with me (I don't have roosters), she went broody (on her own eggs) the day she got here (her eggs were fertile from her previous home). She hatched 7 chicks and they are now living at their new home. Then she went broody again and hatched two chicks (I bought fertile eggs from a friend). They are 3 months old, and are almost ready to go to their new home. Now, I think she wants to go broody again! I've tried to break her, but I don't have the heart, and can't seem to do anything to accomplish my goal.
    Keep in mind the only eggs she's ever laid here at my house, were the the 7 eggs that eventually became chicks!

I've been thinking of re-homing her, since she isn't show quality, but I've grown to love her. [​IMG] Is there anything I can do to keep her from going broody? I don't leave eggs in the nest boxes, or anything, to "help" her go broody. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Here she is being her stubborn old broody self.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She's adorable [​IMG] Unfortunately Silkies are legendary broodies, yours even more so by the sounds of it! A humane way of breaking her broodiness would be to put her in a wire cage with some food and water for a few days. Broody hens' body temperature goes up and when they are in the cage it is difficult for them to maintain that. After an average of 3 days they usually give up and stop being broody. Otherwise you can always start a small hatchery [​IMG]

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Haha! Yes, I believe my silkies are "born brooders"! I have two sitting on eggs as we speak. [​IMG] I'll have to try that with them. [​IMG]
    Thanks Sumi.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Even though you love her, finding her a home where she can brood to her little momma's heart's content may be best for her. I think those birds with such strong maternal instincts should be allowed to raise all the babies they want! I'm sure someone local to you would love a good dependable broody. I personally have a seperate coop for some bantam cochin hens just to have broodies as my hatchery hens don't brood worth a darn.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by