1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i have a dirt floor coop what kinda bedding should i use? also…

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 5, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I have a dirt floor coop what kinda bedding should use in different seasons? And do I need to worry bout sanitazing the coop, made of wood?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Our run is sand/dirt and we leave it that way since it is out in the open. Inside the coop we use pine shavings in the nest boxes to help keep the eggs clean. You can also use pine straw or wheat straw, or even the paper pulp pellets that are available now for small pet cages (such as hamsters). If you use hay, make sure not to use a type that is too soft since they may try to eat some and get an impacted crop.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have a dirt floor and mostly use pine shavings, sometimes hay. You can't really sanitize, but the idea is that the litter will compost if thick enough, and the composting will kill organisms. Usually with dirt floor, you clean all the stuff out once or twice a year. I add shavings when it seems a bit musty or smelly in there, just on top of the old, and keep them turned as well (the chickens do some of this but need help.) Hay or straw are more prone to problems with molds and such so I try to stay with pine, even a little cedar now and then for the freshness. My coop is very well ventilated, though, really the equivalent of a three sided structure, with large areas of walls and door made of hardware cloth, and open all around at the top of the walls.

I've used dirt for years, never anything else, and have never seen any indication that it should have been sanitized. Many on here would not be comfortable with this style of chicken keeping, though. It's pretty close to the original idea of the deep litter method.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I converted part of my barn into the coop, so wood floors, I use pine shavings and just keep adding and stirring it up...it works great, once a year I do a deep clean...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by