I have a duck question!***Update I love him!***(more pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by patyrdz, Apr 11, 2009.

1. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I am hatching runner ducks, first time ever hatching ducks. I have three that have pipped so far. Well one has a hole in the egg and his beak is sticking out. I am concerned because I do not know how it can zip the egg if his beak is out! Is this normal? I know I am suppose to wait, but the beak being poked out is a new one on me!

I love him already!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Anyone?? Please!!!

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    how far out ? Can you post pics ?

4. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Cant help you. Never hatched a thing.

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My two ducks did that as they pipped. I finally gave in after 24 hours and helped them break the shell a little (I did not tear the membrane for them, though).

ETA:

You can see where I chipped off a big part of the shell around their beaks. I'll edit and add another picture when I can find it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I cannot help you either, as I am sadly inexperienced in the area of hatching, but remember: It is perfectly fine to ask questions! In fact I personally encourage it. BYC is a place to learn and you can't learn without asking questions.

7. BeardedChick

Aaah, here we go. I had chipped back a fair bit of shell, without bothering the membrane.

[​IMG]

Eta: this duck popped right out shortly after this.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'm sorry, this is off-topic, but AWWWW! [​IMG]

9. BeardedChick

Quote:That picture is so dinosaur-ish... I like it, but for some reason I expect that baby to have sharp teeth and big scaly wings!

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thank you all for responding! I was starting to get a complex!
    I helped him![​IMG] But...I just zipped it for him and he did the rest! My first duck!! I can't tell you how exciting this is!! I have wanted a duck since I was little! My Grandpa used to take me to cattle auctions, and they always had ducks. Since then I have wanted one! My Grandpa was a very important part of my life and we were very close. I guess this makes me feel closer to him! He has been gone for 25 years!
    well anyway... I have three more trying to hatch! I have a picture of Junior [​IMG] I will post it as soon as it will upload!
    Thank you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by