I have a duck that's walking pretty funny

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaltonJones4, Jan 25, 2015.

1. DaltonJones4

DaltonJones4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2014
    Okay, I know all ducks walk a little funny... But anyways, Hi everyone, I got some day old ducklings 4 weeks ago from Metzer Farms. They were all great and healthy!! But after the first 2 weeks, I noticed one of the ducks was walking a little funny. Almost like it's struggling to walk. Now it's even standing a little weird too. From what I've researched, I don't think it's splayed leg/spraddle leg or anything like that (although it very well may be). I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas/suggestions! Thank you for taking the time to read!!

P.S. Other than her walking, she seems pretty healthy.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you do a video of her? but I can tell you most likely what your seeing is a niacin dif. Happens to quite a few ducklings if you have them on chick starter they aren't getting what they need so buy some Brewers yeast not baking yeast. You will most likely have to go to natural food store or a store like Whole Foods. to get it or Nutritional yeast is good to. Put 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed and let all your ducklings eat it it will not hurt the ones who aren't showing symptoms. You can also purchase "plain' niacin tablets and crush it up and mix in their water but most of us prefer Brewers yeast since it's more natural.If you do the niacin get 250 tab it has to be plain though not flush free. Some put the brewers yeast in their water you just want to make sure the duckling that is having problems is getting it either way you decide to use it. Please let us know how your duckling is doing. once you start her on the BY you should see improvement in about 5 days. But you should have also started it when you first noticed her having leg problems.. What are you using under them for bedding?

3. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    1 person likes this.
  4. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    LOL.... following Miss Lydia again....

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just followed you on another thread Dan lol

1 person likes this.
  6. DaltonJones4

Mar 25, 2014
    Okay thank you very much for the advice. I will go pick up some brewers yeast tomorrow then. I'm using pine shavings as their bedding right now. And I'll try to get a video of her walking!

7. DaltonJones4

Mar 25, 2014
    Thank you too, Dan!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Pine shaving are fine, sometimes people put their ducklings on newspaper and that is a big no no very bad for leg problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by