I have a dumb question........ about hatching eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Break an Egg, May 15, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Let's say I have 5 hens laying eggs with two roos, and I was pretty sure every egg was fertile,

At the most, the 5 could lay 5 a day, right?

So, how many days could I save the eggs until I would have to put them in the bator??

at the most:
    5+5=10 (2days)
    10+10=20 (4 days

I'm just trying to get an estimate of how many eggs I would have in the bator at one time.

Another question, what do you do with the eggs that you plan on hatching?

Can I keep them in the fridge until I'm ready??[​IMG]:idunno

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You left out 1 factor...

How many eggs can your bator hold?

3. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    You can keep them in the fridge. Hatchability declines after 7 days, but they can be kept longer, just not as high of a chance of hatching.

I read that here. I hope I understood it correctly.

4. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have kept my eggs in the fridge a lot longer than 7 days. Maybe 2 weeks or more. Hold on, got to calculate this. I put my first batch for my first hatch in on April 13th...and at that time I started collecting my white and green eggs for another hatch. All 12 eggs from my first hatch hatched on April 4th( they were also kept in the fridge for a while,not sure how long though,maybe 2 weeks). So after my first hatch, I cleaned my bator and set my second batch of eggs in it on the 6th of April. 28 eggs I have in there and I candle every night and sometimes in the day...everyone is developing well. So how long does that make it for my eggs to have been in the fridge? 23 days.... over 3 weeks. Lets see how my hatch rate is for this batch of eggs. I am on day 9 now.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:The main factor in determining what kind I will buy and how many it will hold is how many I will need to be hatched.

I've never done this before, but I will probably be buying the hovabator 1602n

6. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    I thought you weren't supposed to keep hatching eggs in the fridge?

7. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:me too?? I kept mine for hatching on the counter in a carton with the small end pointed down to make sure the air sac stayed in tack -- I wanted to make sure they weren't jostled around too--although I think I read that you should "turn" them a bit (once a day or so) while waiting to incubate---I was under the impression that the refrigerator reduced the hatch rate? -- I would imagine though if you did pop them in the frig, you'd have to wait longer for them to warm up to room temp to then put in the incubator---interesting!!!![​IMG]

8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Maria, do not keep your eggs in the fridge, I hear it declines hatch rate tremendously. When you collect, set them in egg cartons at room temperature (well in a cool place, our 95* weather will probably incubate them without a bator! [​IMG] ) pointy end down and rotate them at least twice a day to keep the eggs viable until you are ready to set. you can collect up to 7 days, I wouldn't go any further after that. If you plan on getting an automatic turner with that incubator you can hold 42 eggs. You are going to have so much fun doing this, its so nerve racking though! Good luck! [​IMG]

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I put mine in the basement where it was cool and tilted them each time I would go down to do laundry [​IMG]

10. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont keep them in the fridge, bad idea...
    Keep them stored in a basement is best,

Dont get me wrong we've incubated them out of the fridge on a pinch, but if you know your gonna hatch them store them in a cool/hum area.

A refridge is to cold plus it removes moister.

Can store eggs for up to 14 days.

Turn the egg carton after 7 days, daily end to end..

Theres never a dumb question, if dont ask you cant learne.....

Charlie

Last edited: May 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by