I have a dumb sour crop question....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittyacid, Mar 14, 2011.

1. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Can a hen have sour crop without having an impacted crop? I have massaged out vomit twice, the first time it was not too smelly but the second time I almost threw up myself. It is still big and squishy, like a water balloon, but I can not feel anything hard or grainy when I massage. I don't know if the liquid is hiding a mass or if she can have the sour gunk without having a hard mass, She is currently in a dog crate in the garage with water with ACV and a little chopped boiled egg and baby food. Any recommendations on how often I should massage and try to get her to expell liquid? Also, when I massage, it takes a minute for the liquid to rise so that she can get it out. Her crop is low and heavy, like pictures of pendulous crop and she appears to be trying to swallow hard after I put her back into her cage.

And how do I expel the liquid without drowning her, which I think I almost did this morning? And do I massage upward or downward - I have seen both suggested. I am holding her upright, with her feet on the ground.

I apologize if this answer is posted, but I could not find anything regarding if the two conditions are independant of each other or if they go hand in hand. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I have also just ordered Medistatin which is a form of Nystatin. Foy's recommended the same dosage as for pigeons. Meanwhile I will try probiotics. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. kittyacid

kittyacid Songster

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Thank you Miss Lydia. I think I have been massaging the crop the wrong way....I was squeezing it up instead of down, essentially forcing the liquid out of her. Should I not induce the liquid to come out, only massage? If anyone else can help, please........

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I wish I could give advise on that but like I said the only thing I'd be worried about is her aspirating the liquid into her lungs..go to google custom search and type in sour crop or crop issues and see if you can find something that might help..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: