I have a feed question??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ljsgirls, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ljsgirls

Ljsgirls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    I have 6 young chicks they now free range 6 to 8 hours a day. My concern is that they are hardly eating their starter feed any more, maybe about 2 cups worth a day. They all look healthy and are growing like crazy. Do you think they are getting enough of what they need nutritionally from the yard?

2. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    Yep they probably are. They wouldn't starve themselves.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'd say they will eat when/if they are hungry. I've seen a lot of people say that is one benefit to free ranging chickens, they eat less feed

4. Ljsgirls

Jul 17, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks, I thought so but it is nice to hear it from someone who has more experience than I.

5. TripleKFarm

TripleKFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    oh your birds will be fat and happy having free range of the yard! that is the best thing for them...I put mine in their tractors for the day and let em go..they get a new patch everyday to scratch through. I just make sure they have shade and plenty of fresh water available. I feed them just half a cup full of scratch and layer, oyster shell a day.

you are a good chicken mama! one big happy chicken family!!

6. Ljsgirls

Jul 17, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks, good to know that they will be fine. It is a lot of worry the first go round!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by