I have a few questions about caring for ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nuts4hotwheels, May 18, 2011.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have 4 chicken hens and I am considering getting ducks if I can adequately care for them.

Will they get along with my chickens?
    Can they share the coop and run with my girls?
    Do they need a pond for swimming?
    Can they eat the same food (Purina Layena)?
    Is there anything special that ducks need?
    Will they stay inside my fenced in yard like the chickens or will they try to fly out?

I know that it is alot of questions, but I appreciate the advice of BYC members.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Hi, I have raised chickens all my life! Yet I've never owned a Duck. We went and got three, two blue sweeds and a rouen. I absoluty love them. I even take them to ponds and creeks on the wk ends.
    I do know this, DUCK HATE CHICKENS!

3. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    My ducks and chickens get along great together, But I also raised them together. Many people here I have heard keep them together, and others dont. I think it all depends on your birds. They CAN be housed together, but ducks are very very messy, and the chickens (or you) may not appreciate it. But ducks are veryyy lovable and addictingging :p So watch out. They dont need a pond, but if you give them a kiddie pool or something just to wash off in they will be happy. And they should stay in your pen, if you get a duck that cant fly. Which is most of them. But they will make it a very muddy mess. My ducks stay in their pen, but they also free range when I let them.

4. MyMummble

MyMummble Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Carson City
    Im looking to get a duck too! I love my chickens so I hope they can live together! I actually heard that ducks can imprint on you. Does anyone know if this is true?

5. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    From what I have read, and also, from my own experience, ducks do imprint on you when they are little if they are not around other ducks. However, if they are free to be with other ducks, they will soon forget their human buddy. I raised two mallard mixes from the time they were just hatched. They would follow me all around the yard. In fact, I had to watch to keep from stepping on them. When they were grown, I let them out of the yard and they went to the creek right below the house where there were other ducks. For a few days, they would come to me to hand feed them, but it wasn't long before they had taken up with the rest of the ducks and wanted nothing more to do with me.[​IMG]

6. MyMummble

MyMummble Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Carson City
    Quote:Thanks!! If I do get a duck, it would only be one. We dont have any other guys in my area just geese lol

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    MyMummble, may I suggest getting at least two or three ducks? They are SO flock oriented, a single duck is a lonely duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by