i have a few questions on some problems im having.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So for the last 2 weeks i haven't been getting the white eggs i used to, i have 2 leghorns and they used to lay great. I am getting 1 white egg every few days. So i figured they where hiding them somewhere, and i have looked everywhere i could (guess i wasn't good enough at it). So for the past 3 days i have found a white egg broken and empty around my front porch, so i figured she was eating them, well today i watched her in the bushes and found where she was laying, I found 7 eggs and 2 broken ones. I was wondering if one there is something i could do to stop her from eating her eggs, im afraid to lock them in the coop cause i have a few who are not laying in the boxes, i dont want her to start getting others to eat there if she is. I was also wondering how long can eggs sit outside before they go bad. Thanks.

*edit* Also i have an 8 month old roo who is breeding my 8 month hens, would the eggs be fertile. I had one egg under my broody silkie and its been i think 21 days and no hatch but when i kindeld it or how ever you spell it, it looked like there was development but i have never done it so i dont know. Well Some how she (dior my silkie) has talked my two EE's and my BO to give her some eggs. She has been siting on them for 1 day.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She may not be a real egg eater but simply breaking them out of clumsiness or in moving them around, and eating them because they're broken. I've seen them do this once in a while and have not had a regular egg eating problem.

In cool weather they can probably sit around for a month without spoiling. In Europe, eggs are not refrigerated for sale. Of course if she's been setting on them and you have a roo, there may be a chick developing. To determine whether an egg is spoiled, just put it in a glass of cool water. If it sinks it's fine, if it floats it's not.

Here is how to tell whether an egg is fertile:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

3. gilligans island

gilligans island Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    Valleyford Wa.
    I seen somebody post that you can put mustard in a openend egg and when the hen eats it, it can break the habit if she is indeed eating the eggs. and also a ceramic egg--a peck or two on a egg that doesnt break is said to discourage. no eggsperiance here but worth a try...?.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Maybe she's not the one eating the eggs...maybe it's something else since they are not protected from predators? (a snake maybe that only takes one every couple of days?) I would think that if she were eating them, then they would all be broken as she would eat it every time she lays one.

If you see her up and about during most of the day, then she probably isn't sitting on them so they may not be developing. I guess you could candle a couple to see if there are any veins. There should be at least a 9 day old egg, an 8 day old egg and so on.

How many hens do you have that your roo has to mate with? I have 1 roo and 9 hens and so far, every egg I open has been fertile.

I would lock her in the coop for a day or two (put one of her eggs in a nest box) and she'll definitely lay in there and maybe that will break her of laying under the porch.

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:At the moment i have 9 hens to 2 roos but only 6 hens are laying one is broody and 2 haven't started laying, plus i haven't seen my younger roo mating yet hes the submissive roo, so im guessing thats why. my other hens are still to young. Also for the locking them up i want to cause i have 2 others who lay in the hay room but i dont know how to let the ones who dont lay yet out of the cool without letting them all out.

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    It would take some strategic blocking when you let them out, but if you give her company in the coop, then it should be easier. You'd only be keeping her in for a day or 2 just so she lays maybe once or twice in the coop...and you'll be able to see if the eggs get eaten.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    ok thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by