I Have A Few Questions

MearBear

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
Canada New Brunswick
Hi, I have a few questions about incubating and here they are.

1. Lockdown starts on day 18 so does that mean I stop turning on day 18 as in, on day 18 i wouldn't turn them at all?

2.How often should I candle? I plan on candling on day 7 then again on day 10 (I will also get rid of any infertile eggs on day 10) and on day 16 or 17 just before lockdown. Does that seem good?

3. When/if the chicks hatch, do I have to wait for all the others to hatch and be dry and fluffy before putting them in the brooder?

4. If I have a double yolker does that mean 2 chicks might hatch out of that one egg?

Those are my questions, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Yes, stop turning on day 18, raise your humidity 65 - 70%. I always candle on day 18 as well to be sure there is nothing amiss with anyone.

2. I candle 7 14 18 and then during the end phases of lock down if there is a problem.

3. Wait till the chicks are pretty close to being dry. If you are hatching lots of eggs at once it is a good idea to have another bator as your hatching one because the humidity can get quite high in the incubator and sometimes the chicks have a tough time drying off. However, if the extra bator is not an option, not to worry, wait till the chicks are mostly dry and move them to the warm brooder. They will dry off completely there, just make sure that the temp in the brooder is where you want it. 95 degs. for new chicks.

4. Hatching double yolkers is always a challenge and not recommended. Successful hatching in this case is very rare because usually one chick either dies and contaminates the other or they grow and cannot turn properly for hatching. Best not to even try as it usually ends in heartbreak. That being said, folks try this so use your best judgement!

Good luck with your hatching. Please post progress.

1. Yes, stop turning on day 18, raise your humidity 65 - 70%. I always candle on day 18 as well to be sure there is nothing amiss with anyone.

2. I candle 7 14 18 and then during the end phases of lock down if there is a problem.

3. Wait till the chicks are pretty close to being dry. If you are hatching lots of eggs at once it is a good idea to have another bator as your hatching one because the humidity can get quite high in the incubator and sometimes the chicks have a tough time drying off. However, if the extra bator is not an option, not to worry, wait till the chicks are mostly dry and move them to the warm brooder. They will dry off completely there, just make sure that the temp in the brooder is where you want it. 95 degs. for new chicks.

4. Hatching double yolkers is always a challenge and not recommended. Successful hatching in this case is very rare because usually one chick either dies and contaminates the other or they grow and cannot turn properly for hatching. Best not to even try as it usually ends in heartbreak. That being said, folks try this so use your best judgement!

Good luck with your hatching. Please post progress.

Thank you so much for answering all of my questions, this was very helpful to me and increased the chances of a good hatch.

Back
Top Bottom