I have a foal coming this fall... Any tips?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Fruit, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I have waited 25 years to own my own horse. I've always had to make do with lessons, working for barns, and caring for other people's horses. Well after two decades of waiting and by the hand of God himself I was presented with the oppotunity to take a chance on a full bred FPS registered friesian foal out of a mare that was first premie and going back for Ster. The sire is famed Anne 340. This is literally not just a nice set up, but its my dream horse.

Well I bought the foal, and sure enough, again by the hand of God, she got Ster. I paid 7000 for a foal that is worth nearly twice that in my area.

I have a trainer that I take lessons from for training- so iam not completely inept and raw at dealing with untrained animals.. And I plan on getting a little companion pony (i wanted to have a cart pony for us to play with and for me to practice training while waiting for baby to be big enough for work). I've been around young stallions, and older foals (young stock and coming three year olds) but never around foals. My little fella will be just weaned when he/she comes home.

he/she is going to the kuering this fall before coming home, so it'll have been halter trained and trailered many times over.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has any advice on bringing home a baby [​IMG]

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    do not spoil it,do not treat him like a dog,or a house pet..that is the worst thing people do,then 2 years later they wonder why they cannot control the horse..read,watch and try go to seminars on natural horsemanship,treat him like YOU are the herd leader horse,its what he understands and will respect.

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats to you!!! We have two mares expecting Friesian foals in about six weeks. I've actually looked at Anne, magnificent horse.
    Anyway, I have no real advice but have fun and enjoy your baby.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    How awesome! I've always wanted a friesian! I bought a two year old paint mare last week though...another one of my dream horses.

I don't have too much advice as I am learning myself. What I've been doing with the two year old is just teaching her all the basic ground manners. She knew how to lead when we bought her, but that was about it. Now we are training her to stop on Whoah, back up, and after she knows that I will teach her to turn on her hind quarters.

One thing I've been told is just to take everything in little baby steps. It really does work. I notice my horse (Cheyenne) will pick up on small concepts very quickly and once she masters that, she can put the little steps together fairly easily.

Good luck with your new horse! I bet you are very excited. I'm sure this will be a long summer for you!

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    YUP.. always treat him like a horse.... and always demand your space!!! treating them like a dog can get you hurt or killed when they weight 1000lbs...
    NEVER ever let them nip you, even at 3 days old with no teeth, if he bites you SMACK HIM

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Congratulations [​IMG] I'm not into the 'hair breeds' especially, but I like Friesians' personalities and they are undeniably handsome [​IMG]

My only advice is to make all your fences, shed, stall, everything, about ten times as safe and strong as you think you would need it to be. It is amazing the trouble that babies can invent for themselves. Especially the expensive ones you *really* don't want ripping themselves up. Never too early to start making things stronger, more visible, no small crevices to wedge a foot in, nothing a head can poke through, no sharp bits, etc etc etc.

Have fun,

Pat

7. twinlights

twinlights Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Congratulations, that is awesome! [​IMG]
    I hope you are going to have that trainer helping you with your new guy. Remember he is not going to be little long, and what is cute now can become very dangerous quickly.[​IMG]
    Read, and get help from someone with experience with youngsters and you will be all set.[​IMG]
    They are so much fun when handled correctly, and there is nothing more rewarding than starting your own dream horse from scratch.
    I breed and train sport horses and sport ponies, its a lot of work, but they are worth it.
    Good luck!

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    oh.. and i have seen a 2 day old foal "square up" and KICK someone right in their gut.... so just because they are small cute babies, they can still hurt you!!!!

9. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    Clinton Anderson is your friend, go get his cds, or watch him on RFDtv.. he is the best...

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:They almost hurt *more*, just b/c their feeties are so small [​IMG]

I would expect though that if this foal is being kept til he's weaned and taken to the keuring and all that, then he should have as reasonable a set of manners installed as you are plausibly going to get in a weanling. Which is not so bad as a days- or weeks-old foal bucketing around on the loose [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by