1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a hard to explain question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carriehelene, Sep 1, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Well, I'm on day 5 of my very first hatch. I couldn't help this, I candled, just to see what I could see. There is a dark shadow in there, can't see any veining yet. What I did notice is that the dark shadow, which I'm assuming is the yolk, floats to the top of whichever way the egg is turned. Is it supposed to do that? I don't know how easily it's supposed to move in there, I was moving very gently, but the yolk? shadow moved as quickly as I turned the egg.

Ok, I'd imagine that at least 1/2 of you reading this post right now are laughing and the other 1/2 are probably banging their heads on the computer desk, wondering how some peope walk and chew gum at the same time [​IMG]

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I'd imagine that at least 1/2 of you reading this post right now are laughing and the other 1/2 are probably banging their heads on the computer desk, wondering how some peope walk and chew gum at the same time lol

nope, i never laugh for people's question or banging head.

hmm, there should be really bright vein in 5th days, maybe the eggs is infertile. but to ensure this safely, simply left the eggs in bator and candling at 7th days, if there's no vein, then cook it for your hen (credit to wegotchickens.

good luck for you. [​IMG]

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    First you will learn ....WE ALL WERE THERE AT ONE TIME IN OUR LIVES...THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS IN HERE...only dumb peole whent hey dont ask if they dont know....[​IMG]
    we all are here as a group/family to help one another....did you go to BYC HOME PAGE, and click on LEARNING CENTER...then click on CANDLING EGGS...that might help.

But here are mine that I candled last night:

[​IMG]

Is this the dark spot you say you see?...that is my chick in the egg

[​IMG]

This one I swear I can see two spots...

I dont always see Veins on my dark eggs, but I do on my lighter ones...

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    hi 2tx well I candled and see only one that looks like yours the other one has a blood vein and the other 10
    look like gray matter , Im confused.

5. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    sissy how long have yours been in??? ...blood vein or do you mean all the veining eggs do when healthly??? and do you see an air cell pocket?? or a full egg covered in gray matter as you put it?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  6. carriehelene

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Thank you Mulia, that's very kind of you.

2tx, nope, that's not what I'm seeing at all, it's a large dark blob, you know, yolk sized. My question is, is it supposed to move in there if there is an embryo growing? I guess I just can't help thinking of it in terms of a human womb, the baby attaches itself, and stays there. And it worries me that the yolk like blob will move whichever way I turn the egg. Shouldn't it at least not invade the space where the air sac is/should be?

7. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    has to have an AIR CELL space...for it to be able to breath when ready...hmmmm....did you look at the pictures in LEARNING CENTER??? sorry Im not much more help...

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    2tx im so confused LoL
    my head is spinning the one egg has a dark spot. one has
    a red like a blood line but the others have this air spot on the top and I think i saw the bottom. but grayish in the mddle ,
    i am to hatch with you on the 11 -12
    i put them in on the 21.aug.
    temp has been staying great and hum.

9. carriehelene

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Thanks 2tx, yes, I checked out the learning center, and all the links found there. I don't see an air sac in this particular egg, which would be really weird. Maybe the problem is I candled during the day. It was in a darker area of the house, but not dark. I think I'll try a different one tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for your answers!

10. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Sissy you and I are due about the same time...I have a feeling I will start early like the 7th-8th....just a feeling...thats awesome on the temp/humidity for you...mine also...stable. So stable its hard to beileve!!!

tonight Im going to re candle and this time use my camera to get better graphics... email me here instead:

[email protected] easier to get to sometimes...a for sure way to get me.

also have yahoo messenger under this addy....
    keep me posted!!! and good luck to us

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by