I Have a Heavy Heart

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MontanaChickenLady, Nov 14, 2011.

1. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    I've had problems of late with my one rooster and I've come to this forum for help and was given lots of advice. I've tried several of the things consistently (i.e., picking him up and carrying him around, booting him in the chest, booting him in the butt, tweaking him from behind) and as of yesterday, nothing has worked to change his behavior. I've been going into the run with a broom so that I could keep him at a distance.....except yesterday. First thing in the morning he was fine. When I went out to collect eggs.....GOD!! He came after me and I kicked him, he just kept coming after me. He attacked me 5 times and I kept kicking him to try and keep him away. I finally got so mad at him that I left the compound and went and got my broom and immediately went back to him. The broom....he's afraid of and I kept poking him in the butt with it and kept him separated from the girls. He finally got to a location where I could pin him down with the broom and he just laid there. Then I picked him up and tucked him like a football and he put his head down completely on his own. I then put him up in the coop and locked the door and kept him separated for about 10 minutes. I was really afraid I kicked him so much that I hurt him internally. GOD......I felt horrible and still do. I'm almost afraid to go out and let them out this morning.......I hope I didn't kill him by being mean. I know he's just a chicken but my chickens have been treated as our pets and this behavior I've displayed is really not something I'm comfortable with. Nor am I comfortable with his behavior. I guess I'll call a butcher and see if they'll cull him for me if I need to have that done. I've been so hopeful and guess I still am this morning. I'm sorry to unload here but I just need a place to talk about this where people may understand. I just have such a heavy heart.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    [​IMG]

no worries i sure he will be fine,

ive heard of people also usina spray bottle with water in to deter arooster or locking him away for a few days in "chicken Jail"

i have not had to deal with this yet but im sure your doing your best and the roo is just stubborn and not hurt in any way

[​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Some say I anthropomorphize, and I'm okay with everyone having their own opinion.

If you really want to have him shift his treatment of you, my method would be to spend time sitting in their run with a treat in you hand and don't let anyone have it but him, and only when he allows you to touch him.

My feeling is that if a roo trusts you, he won't be aggressive. His testosterone has him making paranoid assumptions about you and you'll have to assert that you are not a threat. I find that time spent in the area can change the acceptance level. Sit in there and read a book with corn niblets in your lap.

If it isn't worth the time for you, that's fine, too- I just feel that it could be something that you'll be able to fix if you want.

4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. If you saw him a couple of hours after the fight and he was OK, then chances are he is still OK. I don't know all the things you have tried but have you tried a water gun? I know chickens hate water and even my ducks hate to get sprayed. Might try that before calling the butcher but I'm afraid that with an aggressive rooster, freezer camp is usually the end result.

Sending you a "HUG" and hope everything turns out well for the both of you.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You did nothing wrong. Some roosters are just MEAN and need to go to the crock pot. While I may tolerate a rooster flare, I will challenge the flare and expect the rooster to back down. One who repeatedly attacks is a goner for sure. Your heavy heart is to be expected when you care so deeply for something you nurtured along. Remember, a rooster's world is one of daily challenges. Either he learns the ropes or becomes top bird. And YOU should be top bird in your flock. And if yours can't learn the ropes, then cull him.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Stop the kicking and continue with the broom, harassing,and humiliation. He responds to the 'kicking' as he would to the challenge of another rooster. When dealing with human aggressive roosters, ya do what ya gotta do. If small children are involved, I would cull/get rid of him immediately. It's not worth the aggravation/chance of serious injury. Good luck, and stop beating yourself up. [​IMG]

7. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    [​IMG] It's almost like the feeling you gets when you punish a child in anger. Sometimes you get so mad you lose sight of the fact that they are much smaller than you. I have lost my temper with animals, and sad to say, kids, and it really makes you feel awful afterwards. And, you don't want to have to view him as the enemy. I feel for you, truly. If a butcher won't do the job for you, maybe a friend or neighbor--particularly someone who hunts, and has butchered before-- will do it. If you don't need the rooster for breeding, your life, and the life of the hens, will be much easier without him. And, they are much more resilient than we imagine. He was just probably submitting at last.

8. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I feel for you for the decision is a tough one but you can't have a Roo who won't respect you. You respect him, he needs to do the same back. You've said you tried all the advise given, many attempts and they've failed. Some Roo's are just plain mean....genetically in them and there's nothing you can do. You definitely don't want him to continue attacking you and you don't want him to do attack a child, a visitor or a hand you hire if you're gone. I have a Roo, 7 months old and he's starting to show small signs of aggressiveness. I don't want to cull him or think of doing so for I need to go through the advised steps before I come to that conclusion. You on the other hand have already done so and seems to me you have no other choice. I love my Roo, love the morning crows and the crows through out the day but I won't tolerate uncalled meanness. Who wants to have to put a guard up every time you enter the pen, coop, or yard? Not me.

9. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Bless your heart... Please try and forgive yourself for this... Even if he is hurt, you didn't do it because you are a bad person... We are in control or as I have heard many say top of the food chain, and that is our defence when we feel threatened... When attacked we fight back... I know nothing I can say will make you feel better, that will happen when you can forgive yourself... I had to work with our roo constantly to get him to quit messing with my husband... I can now pick him up and I don't have blood running down my arm... I was looking at his spurs the other day and I know in my heart if he ever decides to use them on me or my husband I will not be responsible for what I will do... You are not the only person that has had to deal with this, but like me and I am sure many others we don't want to have to go to that point... Please keep us posted... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Quote:Some say I anthropomorphize, and I'm okay with everyone having their own opinion.

If you really want to have him shift his treatment of you, my method would be to spend time sitting in their run with a treat in you hand and don't let anyone have it but him, and only when he allows you to touch him.

My feeling is that if a roo trusts you, he won't be aggressive. His testosterone has him making paranoid assumptions about you and you'll have to assert that you are not a threat. I find that time spent in the area can change the acceptance level. Sit in there and read a book with corn niblets in your lap.

If it isn't worth the time for you, that's fine, too- I just feel that it could be something that you'll be able to fix if you want.

That worked for us... I can now walk out in the yard or in the coop and he will come up to me... Looking as if to say why have you not picked me up yet, and he is a big boy... You can also grab some neck feathers and give them a jerk, hard enough to stun them but not enough to pull them out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by