I have a hen that has a large bubble like an absess on the front of her leg.

tgjgem2010

Hatching
Sep 25, 2015
I have used boiled non iodized salt water to clean the wound. I have gauze and vet wrap on it also to keep it clean. What else can I do. I haven't had this kind of issue before.

Welcome to BYC. Pictures always can help. You may need to post a few times before you can post pictures. Does it look like an injury or a peck wound that has become abscessed? Could it be a tumor? Warm compresses for 10 minutes at a time can help an abscess. You can then lance it if there seems to be pus inside to drain it. Betadine, Hibiclens, or hydrogen peroxide are some of the things you can clean it with if it is draining. Antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin or Vetericyn spray can be applied.

That is much larger than I had imagined. Does it feel soft or firm, smooth or irregular? I 'm not an expert, but I think it looks more like a tumor than an abscess. Tumors can be very common in chickens, and especially with Mareks disease or avian lymphoid leukosis. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Have you tried to lance it or drain it?

Back
Top Bottom