I have a incontinent chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pne123, Aug 18, 2010.

1. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Our chickens are about 2 yrs old. I have a long leghorn that is incontinent. I can not see any other of the chickens vents thru the fluff. This one I can see. According the glossary i guess it would be called a "blowout", maybe. What can you do?

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    You need to separate her from the others so they don't peck at it. She'll bleed to death if you don't.

3. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    Forever? for how long. I have no place to put her but a dog box....the dog may not like that.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'm not quite sure of your description and your definitions....incontinent means they cannot control their bowels. A prolapse is where rectal tissue is exposed...maybe this is what you mean? I have many good layers whose vents can be visualized through their feathers...which generally means they are currently laying. Anyone with a nice, neat butt with clean, full and fluffy feathers is normally NOT laying regularly.

How much of this vent can you see? Is it very red and moist, bulging out of the vent, or does it resemble a regular vent only looser and bigger?

5. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    i am new to this....it is moist and exposed. looks painful. the incontinent comment is because she has fluid running down her fluff feathers. None of the other girls do. Our eggs have had a dried egg yolk type goo on them. they all lay in one box so it is impossible to know from where it is coming from. almost like one of them is laying a shell-less egg.

6. Beekissed

It sounds like she could possibly be eggbound and some eggs are getting past the obstruction...or she could just be having soft eggs, which are very hard on the egg canal and could very well make it irritated and prolapsed. Is she acting different, like she is uncomfortable? Leghorns are egg making machines and often have ovulating/egg production problems when they get older.

I agree with the other post about separating her and watching her. For now I would put some hemmorhoid ointment on her prolapse and try to keep her quiet.

7. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    yes they are egg machines. she is only 2 yrs old. i will get her into her own crate and see what happens. i will get some prep h tomorrow. she does not seem irritated or uncomfortable.

8. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    things seem all better. if she is egg bound or gets that way, what do i do to help?

9. Beekissed

Some folks on here say you can soak your chicken in warm water and this helps with eggbound hens. They say there is no cure or treatment and they will either pass them or die.

I had an old leghorn that eventually stopped laying and was processed for canning. Inside I found a huge mass that looked like many, many layers of egg tissue. She didn't show any outward signs of this at all, so who knows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by