I have A Jersey Giant Rooster and will it hurt the feathery backs of 4 hens when breeding?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WildBilly, Mar 7, 2013.

1. WildBilly

WildBilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    my rooster is 5 months old and all my hens are laying quite frequently.(three-4 eggs a day). just curious i hear that there should be 8 hens for one rooster. Any truth to this? and what should i do to prevent damaging the hens? i am new to chickens, it's my first time around?

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Roosters are individuals. Some young roos will continuously mount any hen they can, and frequently. Some roosters are born gentlemen. If it turns out that your hens' backs seem to be getting damaged, the easiest fix is a chicken saddle. It's a piece of material with elastic sewn like straps to place over the hen's wings.

Just so you know, hens can hen peck a new roo, especially a young one, so you may want to put him in a small cage inside their coop for a few days and then release him.

Try it. After all the initial fuss is over with, it's great to see a rooster hanging out with the hens. He'll "call" them to treats that you throw down, and keep a watchful eye over his girls.

3. WildBilly

WildBilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    thank you very much anderson8505, [​IMG]i will try to do my best before any damage occurs to my chickens . i'll have to learn about chicken saddles...

1 person likes this.
  4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Glad to help. Chickens are so interesting, and addicting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by