1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a large chicken,that takes care of my baby bantums

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lem47, Oct 18, 2009.

1. lem47

lem47 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    sturgeon bay
    I have a large chicken,that takes care of my baby bantums,has anyone had this happen before,I got her as a baby at my co-op,she was picked on by all my other bantums,then I hatched out bantum eggs in my incubator and when they were feasthered,put them in with her,,,she took them as her family,,I have 3 more I did in my incubator,and am wondering if you think,she will also take them as family,,she is a 14 pound winadote,sorry about the spelling,however,I got this hen by mistake,she is a loving girl,and I dont know anything about her,,thanks a ton,,sue

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I know of hens who have 'mothered' quail, guina hen, turkeys and one that kept trying to steal a kitten from the mommy cat who had her litter close to the chicken coop. Wanting to be a mommy is an instinct that all creatures have and this is her chance.

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Keep an eye on the chicks. Make sure she doesn't end up abandoning them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by