i have a limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marcus connor, Nov 21, 2014.

1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I looked out today and saw my rode island red limping,and i know that it's common for chickens to get sprains so what should i do.
    worst case i would get duck tape and wrap the leg in it but it might hurt it's self so what should i do thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the chicken? Look at the foot pad for any signs of bumblefoot (swelling, redness, or a dark spot.) Examine the entire leg for any swelling or bruising or enlarged joints. Place your chicken in a cage with food and water to force it to rest the leg. I would not splint it unless you think it is broken, and then I would use vet wrap to splint it (don't wrap too tight!) since it will come off easy. If you can get B Complex vitamin tablets, crush one each day in the food or water. Leave her there for a week, check her out, then put her back for a second week if not better. Keep her cage in the coop with the others, or you may have trouble with her getting picked on when she returns. Check to make sure your roosts and nest boxes are not too high.

3. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    the chicken is almost a year old i got her in march,no bumblefoot,no swelling redness or anything,but i will catch it later today and stick it in a live animal
    trap.tanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by