I have a little black chick I can't identify

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken_china_mom, May 1, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I originally ordered my chicks from Cackle Hatchery, but while we were waiting for them to arrive I went to buy supplies at Tractor Supply, and they got their chicks in, so we bought some egg layers (Amber Sexlink), and some assorted bantams. Two of the original bantams died, so we went back and got more to replace them, and my kids picked out some real cuties. Overall we lost more of the ones from Tractor Supply than we kept alive, but the ones we do have are thriving. They just reached two weeks old and are only a week behind our ones from Cackle Hatchery. So I tried to identify the chicks, and I was able to positively identify two of my chicks as Golden Sebrights. We named them Pip and Pepsi. Pip was one we picked up the first trip to TS so he/she is 3 weeks old. Pepsi I grabbed on the return trip because I wanted another Sebright chick. We have a lovely little tan chick with black and brown splotches on it's wings and we were fairly sure it was a Belgian Bearded d'Uccle, Mille Fleur in color. But the bigger Millie (we named it that cause we thought it was a Mille Fleur) gets, the less certain I am that that's what the chick is. Millie doesn't seem to have a beard. I am not completely familiar with the breed. Perhaps there are beared and nonbearded varieties? And then we have our little Phantom bantam, the reason for this post. Phantom is solid black with some soft white down on her chest, solid black legs, dark eyes, beak, and so far there is no comb. I have considered a Black Japanese, Black Silkie, but in truth, I haven't the foggiest idea! We call it Phantom mostly because it's breed is a complete mystery to us. I have noticed that the chick is the most laid back of all the chicks I have, which I also note about my White Silkies, and the feathers that are coming in look more soft and separated than those of the other chicks, another Silkie trait. However, Phantom has flesh colored freckles on two toes on each foot and his/her eyes aren't as wide and intense as the Silkies. And his/her skin on the legs looks black, not blue like a Silkie. So I am completely clueless. I've been waiting to see what color the comb comes in, whether it's red like the Japanese or not. If anyone has an idea, I do have pictures of the baby, I just don't know how to post them on here. I have pictures of Millie too if anyone one wants to see them. Thanks everyone!

2. Guwisti

Guwisti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Van Buren, AR
    We got our chicks at TSC as well. We have two black ones that sound like what you described. They turned out to be Black Sex Links or Rock Reds. Wonderful chickens, well so far they're only 5 weeks old, but they are the sweetest and most intelligent seeming ones of what we ended up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by