I have a loner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LisaP, Jun 10, 2011.

1. LisaP

LisaP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Burlington, WA
    We have 8 chickens that will be four months old next week. We have one that generally stays inside, does not go out and run around with the rest of the flock, she just s keep to herself. I see some of the others picking and pecking at her once in a while and then today I go out there and she is limping. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and is there anything I should do?

2. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    perhaps separate her and make sure she's eating and drinking well? i'm sorry the others are picking on her [​IMG]

3. SJUDD

SJUDD Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a loner too. She sleeps on top of the nesting boxes instead of in them with the others and when they are roaming the yard, she is always off by herself. I also have a different chicken that everyone else picks on. I was watching them last night and every time she went to eat something, someone would peck at her till she moved and then eat whatever she was trying to eat. But she still sleeps cuddled up with the rest of them. Its interesting and a little odd at the same time.

4. LisaP

LisaP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Burlington, WA
    That is exactly how she is treated and how she acts. I feel sorry for her, it's as if she is an outcast. Do you think this will change and things will get easier for her? How worried should I be about her limping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by