I have A LOT of questions!!!:D Please answer them!!!:)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kristi2chickens, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Kristi2chickens

Kristi2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Hello!!! My "name" is Kristi(I use the name Kristi as an online name)!!! I've been doing lots of research and I would really like to get chickens!!! I would get them for pets and eggs. :) I may or may not be moving. At the house I currently live at there are A LOT of plants. I'm not really sure what all of them are... My landlord planted them. Would it still be safe to have chickens at my current home??? At the place where I may or may not move into there is a crabby neighbor that might not like the idea of chickens... How would I convince her that they would be not a problem at all??? Also, the landlord that I have may or may not go for the idea of having chickens. How do I let the landlord and the neighbors know that chickens wouldn't be a problem at all??? I already know which coop and brooder I would have and make. What is the best chick starter feed I can get??? Can I feed chicks "human" food right away??? How much feed and human food do I give adult chickens a day??? I live in a place where it gets very cold in the winter. What kind of chickens should I get??? Also, how do I keep them warm if I can't get electricity in the coop??? Should I insulate the coop??? What is the best adult chicken feed I can get??? When are the chickens adults??? How do I tell if they are male or female??? Should I get one type of chicken or several??? Should I get a book on chickens??? If so, which book??? Thank you so much!!! I will probably have more questions later... Lol!!! I have copy and pasted this in a couple other areas. I would love several people's thoughts and opinions. :D I'm very excited to be here and please answer my questions!!! Thank you so much!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would suggest you do some reading in the Learning Center, in the brown strip at the top of the page. The basics of raising and caring for chickens are collected there for your convenience. You can buy a book if you wish, but the information is here as well.

We can't really tel you which plants are toxic and which not, without their being identified.

Unless you live somewhere like Canada, you shouldn't need heat, electricity or water at your coop, but electricity and especially water can be convenient.

If you live or will live in a city or twon, you need to check that town's laws or ordnances to find out whether chickens are allowed. In the county, they generally are, but it is still a good idea to know local laws.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. Kristi2chickens

Kristi2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Okay, thank you very much!!! I know that I can have chickens. I live in town.:) I don't live in Canada. Thank you for all your advice!!!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by