I have a mama hen that has been laying and hiding eggs to sit on once she has enough I assume...so s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missnu01, Jan 24, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    If I move the eggs into a nest in the coop will she find them and sit on them? Or should I leave them where I found them? I super want some baby chickies...But where she decided to start nesting is really not a very good spot... So if I move the eggs she has so far will she keep adding to the clutch or no?

2. WhiskiRanch

WhiskiRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    Only one of my hens laid her eggs in the coop last year. The other 4 that had babies decided to hide their nests. One wasnt found until after she hatched her babies. she was behind the dog kennel in the weeds. we found her bringing her babies out into the horse arena. she hatched around 15 babies but there was still about 25-30 eggs in the nest. Talk about eggs galore!!! My other two decided to hide their nests in the neighbors hay barn and the 5th hen laid 2 eggs in a bucket by the roundpen and hatched out both. We left all of our hens alone that we found still sitting on their nests and as soon as they hatched, we carefully caught all the babies and transported them to the hen house in a bucket and transported mama in a dog carrier to the hen house and locked them in. we did it so mama could still get out but the babies couldnt. that way she had to go back to the house. Ive never moved nests though. We just kept an eye on them

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I personally always move nests, I watch my hens like a hawk though and catch where they are sneaking their eggs. I gather the eggs once they are very determinedly broody, into a large dog house I bought for the purpose. I added a large rabbit run, enclosed on all sides and the top with the door taken off for entrance to and from the dog house. I call it my maternity ward. I always move them in the early evening so they can explore a little bit, then they always wander right in and find their nest. That way I know they are safe while sitting, and I know they are enclosed and prepared when their babies hatch.

4. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Thank you...the woman we got this mama and her 7 babies from said she had them in the dog's house...so I guess I will leave the eggs and mama alone...If she goes back to the eggs at all...I didn't realize she had any eggs til I tried to carry her back upstairs to the coop...Every once in awhile a chicken decides to stay out later than I leave the door open and they just go into the garage under the coop...and in the morning I carry them back upstairs and everyone is happy...so when I didn't see her upstairs and then found her downstairs I assumed she had just not been able to make it into the coop last night...but as soon as I saw that she had eggs I understood, but as I said hopefully it isn't too late...it is weird though, she laid one egg in the nest box, and then no egg the next day, and then today on the third day I found her sitting on 2 eggs under the stairs...I super hope she goes back to the eggs...she's been off of them all day, but I read that chickens will take up to 2 weeks to gather their clutch before they actually start sitting on the eggs, so maybe...I don't want to waste eggs I could eat, but also don't want to eat eggs if I could turn them into baby chicks...I don't have an incubator, so mama hens are the only way...At least I have one chicken that I know goes broody..apparently as soon as she lays an egg she is broody...Lol.

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Haha I have a few hens like that! As soon as it is warm my giant Cochin coop turns into a giant maternity ward, every girl in there gets baby fever! And my Silkie girl, shew, she would raise 6 broods a summer if I let her! Very inconvenient when I just want to stuff all the eggs in my bator and everyone stops laying trying to hatch babies. I have been known to sneak eggs out of the bator that will hatch in a week or two just to speed up their process. Never has any luck giving them chicks.

6. WhiskiRanch

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    Ive read on here that people have bought hatching eggs and put them under their broody hens to hatch. Im assuming they do that because they dont want a rooster around and dont have an incubator. I had 5 out of 6 hens hatch babies last year and I ended up with over 60 babies!!!! I didnt want to take any of the eggs away once I found where they were hiding their nests so I let them all hatch. Now we have a coop and run built for them and they have been living it 24/7 since November and I have been gathering eggs every day for us to eat. Come spring time when the bugs come out, I will be letting them out to free range and hope that they dont hide nests again. If they do, I will have a pretty good idea on where to look [​IMG]

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks guys...I was expecting this in spring, but it is still very very wintery around here. So hopefully she continues to add eggs to her small under stair clutch and then once she is firmly settled I might be able to convince her to move...I mean she should be pretty safe from stuff down there as well, but the upstairs is intended for the chickens as nothing can get to them there...but she is in the garage part under the coop under the stairs that lead to the coop. I super want some baby chicks, especially because the only rooster we have that is the size of the mama hen is a silkie...so perhaps they would be silkie mixes. That is if she even goes back to the nest after I chased her off of it...I hope she does. I guess if she really wants to hatch those eggs she'll go back to the nest.

8. WhiskiRanch

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    One of my hens decided to get the "safe sex" memo fro my mother and laid and hatched 2 eggs last fall. The other 4 hens who hatched babies were between 12 and 20 per batch hatched!!![​IMG]

9. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I just hope she goes back to the nest and that all hope isn't lost...I have a large dog crate and I thought about putting the eggs in there and then catching her and putting her in to see if she would then decide to sit on them again...but thought it might be better to just leave her be. If in 2 more days she hasn't been seen sitting on said nest then I will take the eggs and she can try again hopefully in the coop this time...So I guess it is no big deal...I just hate that I didn't realize what she was sitting down there for when I first saw her there...

10. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Well I took the eggs...she was roosting with the other chickens this evening..so apparently she didn't want them bad enough..next time I see her sitting somewhere strange I will just leave her alone...She's going to have to use the coop though...Apparently she only lays with a purpose...I say this because she literally just started back laying after the last bunch of chicks...3 days ago, and I have 3 eggs to show it, but she was trying to sit on 2 of them...
    I have made one dummy egg for her, I'll stick it in a dog kennel up there and maybe she'll get the idea...if not we can eat tiny eggs til she decides to sit on them again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by