I have a marsupial outside tonight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LittleChickenRacingTeam, Sep 12, 2008.

1. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    The motion light kept going on the last hour, & when i run outside I see nothing.

Just looked out the window, & saw the culprit. It's an opossum. He is going to be SO dead.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Best of luck to you LCRT. Don't you have a road around you though? A road will kill a possum every time. I know I've told this joke before but I can't resist telling it again because it is the honest truth:

Why did the chicken cross the road? To show the possum it could be done.

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Have fun, I wish I could see my raccoons at night so I can peg them off. I shot in the dark one night and got one, but that was a fluke.

4. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Just be careful and take a shotgun when you go outside . They have nasty teeth . We had one take a hunk out of a dog once.

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Little Booger ran under the propane tank when I went out with the shotgun. I am going to set the trap & bait it with a couple of eggs.

He can catch the LEAD EXPRESS tomorrow if I catch him.

Gawd they are ugly & only have recently become a problem up here in Canada. Apparantly they have been hitching rides underneath transport trucks to get up here, & Global Warming has allowed them to survive & breed.

6. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    They are, for your information, cute as all heck, and I'll take back our opossums if you promise to keep your nasty snow all to yourselves.
    I think it's hilarious every time I meet a transplanted Canadian in Texas . . . they're scared to death of going outdoors, every little spider bite they get they swear came from a brown recluse, and they think every little snake is a potential death trap of acidic poison. That, and I think I actually saw one Canadian melt in our June heat. Funniest thing ever.

I refuse to ever move to Canada, knowing full well I'll deserve all the teasing I get for not being able to handle it [​IMG]

You do have to admire the animal, though. There aren't many marsupials that can claim such success at surviving anywhere and everywhere. I'm impressed they found they've made their stake in Canada so quickly. Stinky for y'all, but still not as bad as having fire ants move in on your territory.

7. pimpdaddywrinkles

pimpdaddywrinkles Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    Quote:I'm a Southerniese in Canada. you think fire ants are bad? LOL!!!

Try on a Canadian black fly swarm.

As for the Possum you know you can cook it!

I learned this recipe from a tough old Texan.

The best way to cook a possm
    First you Kill, Skin, and gut it like a chicken.

Then you wash it and put it in a roasting pan and preheat the oven to 350 F.

Then you put a brick inside the body cavity and put the possum in the oven and cook it for about 5 hours.

Then after 5 hours take the possum out of the oven and there will be a bunch of grease in the bottom of the pan.

Ok here is where is gets easy

The brick will have absorbed allot of the grease, so what you do is
    take the brick out of the possum throw away the possum and eat the brick.

Ba, dum, dum. [​IMG]

8. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:Boo! Cheesy [​IMG]

Nah, I love corny jokes [​IMG]

As for your black fly swarm, exactly why I won't go into Canada . . . things I don't know about that I'll be teased for. I fully deserve it for all the teasing I do to them down here [​IMG]
    They do complain about the ants, though, so apparently they aren't completely beneath the radar. South America can have those little devils back, and this coming from an avid fan of ants.

9. pimpdaddywrinkles

pimpdaddywrinkles Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    Quote:Boo! Cheesy [​IMG]

Nah, I love corny jokes [​IMG]

As for your black fly swarm, exactly why I won't go into Canada . . . things I don't know about that I'll be teased for. I fully deserve it for all the teasing I do to them down here [​IMG]
    They do complain about the ants, though, so apparently they aren't completely beneath the radar. South America can have those little devils back, and this coming from an avid fan of ants.

one cool thing about living in Toronto is that it's Hollywood east and on Monday Degrassi: The Next Generation is going to be filming at an old book stoor right down the street from my house, well 5 houses away and we are all on an acre lots. it will be fun.

Come on up you'll have to try poutien and peameal good stuff!

As well The Hockey here is AWSOM! except for the Canadian teams. But the U.S. teams still have to play up here.
    I'm actually a leafs fan but they suck.

I'm assuming that you are high and dry now I hope you stay that way.

10. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:Not quite . . . we'll see what happens. I can't get in contact with some family, so I'm hoping they're okay and it's just power issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by