I have a mixed flock and ample fertilized eggs, but only 1 hen has giving me viable eggs, all the ot

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aviaryacres, Apr 24, 2017.

1. aviaryacres

aviaryacres New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    I have a Rhode Island Red,Red Comet, Leghorn and an Australorp hen. All have given me equal eggs in a clutch, but the Australorp eggs are the only chicks I can hatch, all the other chicks die late in development, they never even pip. The Australorp chicks hatch with no issues. I follow the book on incubation temps, humidity,and turning. Why is this happening? The hens eat the same diet, are free range and only 1 rooster. The only difference in laying, is the Australorp hen will take her time laying... literally hours, but the other hens are more of a sit and ditch layer. I can't figure it out!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    For sure it has nothing to do with the breeds because I hatch all of those breeds(except red comets) equal. I do not know how you incubate but I do nothing different for those breeds. What kind of incubator and what do you have your humidity at for the incubation and the hatch?

3. aviaryacres

aviaryacres New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    I have 2 of the still air Little Giant incubators, one with a rocker and ine for the hatch. During development I keep the temp. between 99.5- 100.5 with the humidity around 55%, then 3 days before hatch I transfer the eggs to the other incubator at same temp. but around 75% humidity. The eggs are all mixed equally in the same clutch.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Try about 30/35% for the first 18 days and see if you do not have a better hatch. I would drown most of mine at 55% for the incubation.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us but sorry to hear of your hatching woes. I agree that the 18 day humidity levels are significantly higher than those normally recommended. As PD suggested, try lowering your 18 day humidity - its likely to be a bit of "suck it and see" before you get it right, since location, elevation (i.e. how far above sea level we live), draughts in the incubator location, among others can influence hatch rate.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under aviaryacres [​IMG] Welcome!

I too am sorry to hear of your hatching woes.

As I have no incubator experience, only hatches under a broody hen and you have already received some good advice and links to some BYC starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by