I have a mystery hen for you all!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PhoenixBanties, Dec 14, 2014.

1. PhoenixBanties

PhoenixBanties New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Ok back yard hen lovers!! I have a mystery girl for you! I am somewhat unsure on her age. When I got her Labor Day weekend, they told me she was a year old. She clearly was not, as she has filled out a good bit since then. Her comb was misidentified when I first got her as it had either been harmed, or hardly started growing in. She had been tossed over these people's back fence along will a standard buff Orpington, with whom she is closely bonded. We took both, of course.

Beaker (after the Muppets) is a Black hen weighing 2lbs ~ 2oz (I had her on an old postal scale, weight is approx. she is FEISTY)
    I believe she has a buttercup comb.
    She does have a nice poof to her head, but never has had a Polish type poofy poof.
    I'm not sure she is done molting, I found quite a few missing feathers when I brought her inside to get photos, & it felt like she had some broken spikey spots.
    Her ears are teeny tiny. Perhaps a teeny bit blue, I really could not get the phone to focus on it as she refused to hold still. Sorry.
    There is nothing sedate & passive about this girl, a Cochin type she is NOT. A cousin to a Road Runner she decidedly IS!! My Silkie can almost up with her, but being opposite colors, they can't decide if they like one another or hate each other.
    She is feather footed- so a Crevecoeur as originally considered she is not. :(
    She has 4 toes & they are black.

She needs some friends... Any idea who they may be?? She carries herself kinda like some of the Japanese breeds, very upright, but they have clean heads, no fancy poofs for them. Also, I think they are clean footed. Is she possibly a mistake, ie: cross breed, hence getting thrown over those people's fence?

Lastly, before anyone worries about teeny banties loose in a scary back yard, I was outside with them today. They have a run along two walls of our property enclosed for them where they typically hang out, but since the doggies are visiting the grandparents, the birdies got the run if the yard earlier! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a Polish mix to me, probably also with some Cochin and Ameraucana/Easter Egger in her.

3. PhoenixBanties

PhoenixBanties New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for your comment! I don't think it is quite on target, but it got me closer! I actually want some Ameraucanas, so I was looking in the Standard of perfection again and none of the breeds you mentioned have the correct comb to be her; however, I flopped past what looks mostly like her!! I found the photo from here: http://www.the-coop.org/heywood/

She is mostly a Bantam Old English Game Hen!
    [​IMG]

Considering her Weird head poof & feathered feet, does the peanut gallery think she might be an Old English Game Bantam x a Black Sultan Bantam? The Sultan was the only Bantam I could fint w/poof & feathered feet. [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with BantamLover21's guess.

5. PhoenixBanties

PhoenixBanties New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Ok guys, I'm still way confused by her comb type. The guide is all about using comb to type your bird, then move on to other things.
    (Or so I may have misunderstood.)
    The Polish have a V comb & 5 toes. She does not have either, but does have their black skin.
    The Ameraucana hens have the teeniest pea combs ever & beards & silvery white skin. She has none of these.
    Cochins have single combs, white skin, feathered feet. (I have some, she avoids them & doesn't look a lick like them.)
    The Sicilian Buttercups on BYC comb type page look like a much larger version of her comb-- but how can that be?!?!?

The Sultan is the only Bantam I can find with both poofy head feathers & toe feathers, but her face is so bare!! The Polish, Silkie, Ameraucana, Cochin, & Sultan's all have flamboyant facial feathers or waddles compared to this girl. I just do not get it.

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You can often throw comb types out the window when dealing with mixed breeds. Some of them, like yours, can end up with some really funky looking combs that don't really fit any specific type.

1 person likes this.
  7. PhoenixBanties

PhoenixBanties New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    [​IMG]Ah-HA!! THAT makes sense!!! NOW I get it!! I can totally see an Ameraucana x Polish cross! She carries herself like the Ameraucana as you can see from her happy by the rain puddle photo photo! Also, the people who said she got thrown over their fence raised Bantam Polish!! They were in a carefully enclosed area in the back of their property. I bet a neighbor had Ameraucanas & one of their Polish roosters got loose & the neighbor was not pleased! They were not terribly nice to the little girl. Since she was not a pure breed she just ran around their fenced back yard getting chased by the 1/2 blind toy sized doggie. Well then!! I wanted to get some Ameraucanas anyway for the cool eggs, now to see if they come in black!! If they don't, I'll figure it out! I've got only the one black & one buff Silkie & they need a few friends. We've got a couple Cochin as well, so debating what to do because I was already set on getting some Ameraucanas, but birds of a feather and all!!

Thanks so very much!!!

[​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like a possible Polish mix to me, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by