1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a mystery Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marlo1968, Sep 12, 2014.

1. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I need some help identifying this guy. He is about 13-15 weeks old. He's farther behind in development than chicks that are the same age, tall and lanky (today it's cold and he's hunched up), has very green legs, straight comb, no yellow on the bottom of the foot. When I bought him as a chick (1-2 wk old) I was told he was a Blue Jersey Giant. I'm not sure that he is because of the leg color and the missing yellow on the bottom of the foot. The green legs make me think maybe Americauna, but he has no beard and has a straight comb......I'm baffled
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Could be an Andalusian. That's an unsure guess, as I am not too familiar with the breed. Could also be and Easter Egger.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Other than the green legs, he has all the appearance of a Splash Orpington. Hatched many of those cockerels here when I had all my BBS Orp breeding group. Weird....except that if he has yellow skin, as some of the Sandhill Preservation blue Orp lines come out with, the slate over yellow makes them appear green. I did see some of that way back when, so that may be what's going on.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  4. marlo1968

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    well those are the two I was thinking of as possibilities. I'm also not familiar with Andalusians....Someone on fb said hatchery Jersey Giants can stray from the standard, with different leg colors and underfoot colors. still confusing

5. speckledhen

No way it's Andalusian. Those are very narrow bodied birds with white earlobes. Looks nothing like an Andalusian.

6. marlo1968

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    here are a couple of pics of the similar but splash pullet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ldkcowgirl

Ldkcowgirl New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Hi. Have to say he's a mix..looks just like my blue copper maran and also like my easter egger. The other pics look exactly like my black copper marans.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd guess that he's a mix, maybe with Marans.

9. speckledhen

I don't see any Marans in there-the body type is too round. I wish I had my old photos so I could show you an almost identical Splash Orpington with greenish-yellow legs, but my computer has been in the shop for a month and my older photos are there. Now, there are BBS Jersey Giants, if I recall, so could be one of those, I guess.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could just be a poor quality Blue Jersey Giant, or a JG mix. Jersey Giants are supposed to have yellow feet bottoms, but that doesn't mean all of them do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by