I have a pet pheasant now ... *PICS added*

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by michickenwrangler, Jan 10, 2011.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    The last week or so, there's been a wild ringneck pheasant hen hanging out by my chicken runs. I've been leaving some scratch feed out for her and we don't let the dog chase her, so she's become almost tame, just skittering away a few yard when I put the scratch down and then returning to eat. So I get DD on the bus this morning and as I'm walking up the driveway, I called to the cochins and noticed that there was someone else in there with them.

I'll see if I can get a picture later.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    They usually form small groups of 2-4 hens in the winter to find food and watch for predators. I guess she lost her group to predators or hunger. Cool that she has found your place.

Unfortunately, I think they are not well adapted to deal with chicken diseases.

I would be sure to let her have the freedom to leave when it warms up. She will no doubt remember you and come around again next year.

3. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    That is really cool! Congrats! [​IMG] How interesting that she figured out a potential food source and was bold enough to come up to your chickens and house.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I'M NOT SURE TURNING HER LOOSE IS A GOOD IDEA, AS YOU STATED CORRECTLY THEY DONT DO CHICKEN ILLNESSES WELL, BY RELEASING HER TO THE WILD ONCE HOUSED WITH THEM YOU MAY BE RELEASING A CARRIER OF DISEASE THAT WILL SPREAD THROUGH YOUR LOCAL WILD POPULATION LIKE WILDFIRE. ONCE EXPOSED ITS KINDA PRUDENT TO KEEP HER THERE TO PROTECT THE REST OF YOUR WILD BIRDS IN THE AREA. OTHERWISE SHE MAY END UP BEING THE PHEASANT VERSION OF TYPHOID MARY.

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:HUNGER HAS INCREDIBLE MOTIVATIONAL ABILITY...

6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I suppose I was thinking she would leave sooner rather than later. I don't think she will enjoy being cooped up at all.

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

And if you keep it you might be violating game laws.

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    She was gone yesterday afternoon and this morning when I went out to do chores, she fluttered out of the coop, sailed neatly over the 50" fence and landed lightly on the ground and clucked to me.

She's been coming and going as she pleases.

Not quite sure what to do with her. I think she's just nicking some scratch and water, she won't touch the layer feed. I put out some mealworms yesterday and this morning for her since I don't have any gamebird food.

I have a picture of her, but I still need to upload it.

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:UNFORTYUNATELY THE BACHELOR'S 5 SECOND RULE? DOESNT APPLY HERE. CONTACT IS CONTACT, NO MATTER THE LENGTH OF TIME, AND CONTACT, EVEN CASUAL CAN CAUSE DISEASE TRANSFER WITH THESE GUYS...

"And if you keep it you might be violating game laws."

I AGREE WITH YOU WHOLE HEARTEDLY, EVEN COMMENTED ABOUT THIS ON THE PREVIOUS STRING IN THIS MATTER, BUT I WOULD RATHER SEE THE BIRD KEPT THEN CORYZA OUTBREAK IN THE WILD POPULATION. WHICH COULD BE DEVASTATING TO NUMBERS/ POPULATION FOR QUITE A VAST DISTANCE --- I QUESS WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS THE CONSEQUENCES FOR RELEASE INTO THE WILD BE BE RATHER UGLY. I DONT PERSONALLY KNOW THE LAWS THERE, BUT I AM WILLING TO BET THEY DO NOT ALLOW FOR "LIVE CAPTURE OF AN INDIGENOUS GAME SPECES" AS MOST STATES DON'T ALLOW IT AS AN EFFORT TO PROTECT THESE SPECIES FROM CAPTURE WHICH COULD AFFECT THE POPULATION NUMBERS. AS A HUNTER AND AVID OUTDOORSMEN I HAVE WITNESSED "GAME FOLLIES" IN MY LIFE WHERE MISMANGEMENT OR ACTIONS PERFORMED WITH "THE BEST INTENTIONS" HAD VERY UNSAVORY RESULTS FOR WILD ANIMAL POPULATIONS.

DONT THINK IT'S POSSIBLE? CHECK THESE STRINGS OUT: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=438437

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361

EVERY
    YEAR I SEE STRINGS LIKE THOSE--- THE RESULTANT CONSEQUENCES OF IMPROPER HUSBANDRY FOR GAMEBIRD SPECES... I LEARNED THE HARD WAY AS I WAS ONCE GUILTY OF IT MYSELF, ANYONE WHO SPENDS ANYTIME HERE OR IN THE QUAIL STRING HAS PROBABLY SEEN ME BEATING THE WAR DRUMS ABOUT DISEASE TRANSFER TO GAME BIRD SPECES... ITS NOT A DREAM REALLY, MORE LIKE A VERY PROBABLE NIGHTMARE, THE PROOF IS HERE ON THIS FORUM AND READILY AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO LOOK.

PERSONALLY I WOULD MAKE HER A TOTALLY ENCLOSED PEN FOR HER NEW LIVING QUARTERS(PREVENTING HER ESCAPE IN THE MEAN TIME) AND LOOK FOR A COUPLE OF FRIENDS FOR HER IN THE FORM OF OTHER RING NECKS OR START EGG SHOPPING. I WOULDNT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES OF RELEASE ASSOCIATED WITH HER. AND TO BE HONEST IF SHE'S BECOME THAT COMFORTABLE AROUND HUMANS AND DOMESTIC LIVESTOCK SHE LIKELY WONT MAKE IT IN THE WILD AGAINST PREDATORS AND ENVIRONMENTAL DANGERS. THIS CASE CERTAINLY PRESENTS A QUANDRY DOESNT IT?

10. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes it does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by