I have a PIP! UPDATED WITH PICS~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourhouse51, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ourhouse51

ourhouse51 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    I started with 20 eggs and am down to 17....all are mutts, but I like mutts so that is okay.

Tomorrow is hatch day but tonite when I got home and peeped in the bator to check my humidity....there is a green egg with a pip. This is my 3rd hatch...or should I say third attempt. The first one hatched only 1 chick and it died.

2nd hatch is 5 weeks old and I got 8 (in a very staggered hatch because I rescued eggs from a broody for it)

This hatch has been almost too good to be true. No temp spikes, good humidity all the way.....

So, here's hoping these babies come out happy and healthy!

I am too eggcited to go to bed![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    WOOT! That sounds great! Make sure you post pictures! I can't imagine having to wait! Well, I'll have to in 14 days lol. Good Luck with your babies!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG]
    Well how's the pippin' today? Any chicks out? I need some pictures! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    I have 2 babies out so far....and 4 more pips that I have seen. They are tricky and try to pip on the side of the egg farthest from the window.

One of them isn't looking to perky. It looks like it still has some yolk sac.

The first two that pipped are still not out....I can see them both still working though.

Maybe soon! And I'll have pics too![​IMG]

5. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    quick question.....the first egg to pip has still not hatched. It has a HUGE pip, most of the shell there is gone....but it looks like the chick is till trying to pip right there, no turn, no zip......

The second egg that pipped did the same and that chick is dead....no movement for several hours.

Is it time to help?? Or leave it alone and hope for the best?[​IMG]

6. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh dear. Is the little one still alive? I would help at this point, but it doesn't look good. [​IMG]

7. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    So far 6 little fuzzy butted mutt babies....I ended up helping the last one. It was stuck to the side. I don't think it would have ever made it out. It is up and running allover now though.

I have 1 more almost out, one more with a big pip that I can see working and 2 more with pips.

I have 4 eggs that I have no pips and have seen no movement from.

I ended this hatch with only 16 good eggs after the last candling. Started with 20. If I get 50%, I will feel like I hve done something right!

I hate to know that I have to put the bator up after this hatch...but I think I am pushing the limit with my DH right now! Have to let him have a break from the chirping I guess!

Will try to get my pics posted tomorrow...or today rather!

Pam

8. ourhouse51

Feb 24, 2007
    SE Oklahoma....
    These are my new babies.. I ended with 8 of 16. I would have had more nut I had to leave yesterday to go to OKC and my DD rook the babies out to put in the brooder....and left the bator cracked open...so I lost one just hatched, one dead about halfway out, one dead pipped and 3 that never did anything......

She feels like a chicken murderer......

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by