1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a pip!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Gossie, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    My brown chinese crested goose, Buttercup, has been sitting on 7 eggs. Today is day 28 and I have a pip! Buttercup has been broody 3 times since we got her, but we have never gotten a pip! What are the chances that a pipped egg will hatch?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Gossie A good chance, mama goose should know instinctively how to sit and hatch her eggs. There is always the chance something could go wrong but lets hope that isn't the case here. Congrats and keep us updated. main thing is not messing with the egg so the humidity stays level and the gosling doesn't shrink wrap in the shell.Are you in USA if you are make sure mama and goslings are safe from preds and not out in the weather since most of the country is cooling down now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. Gossie

Jun 14, 2015
    I went down there this morning and there were 3 or 4 pips! [​IMG] One of eggs looked like it was starting to zip. When we opened the door to her coop, she scooted off her eggs. I'm worried that she won't sit on them because they're moving around a lot. My silkie did this and I found a half hatched baby chick far away from her nest. I carefully stuffed it back under her, but with Buttercup, if I go anywhere near her or her eggs, I get bitten by her mate, Gossie. Do you think she'll get back on her nest? Should I be worried?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Gossie Can you check on her with out going inside where she is. Keep a close watch now because sometimes first mamas can get freaked out by moving zipping eggs. If you have any doubts that she isn't staying on the nest then your going to have to intervene if you want them to hatch but don't get over anxious. Just watch at this point. Get a brooder ready just in case though it's always better to be ready than not. I found this out when my Muscovy attacked her first duckling to zip she would not accept it so we had to scramble around and throw together a brooder, thankfully the duckling is now over 4 yrs old but it was a bit hectic there for a while. Hopefully Buttercup will settle down and let her little ones hatch. Keep updating. Main thing at this point is try not to up set her just observe from a distance if you can.

5. Gossie

Jun 14, 2015
    I just went down and I think she was sitting on all her eggs. I really hope it all goes well. Thank you for helping me!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This is a stressful time for us [especially when it's up to mama goose.] I have been through it but lets hope Buttercup is going to do all that she can to ensure those goslings hatch.

Keep me updated. [​IMG]

7. Gossie

Jun 14, 2015
    We have goslings! [​IMG] There are 3 hatched. 2 of them are fluffy and 1 looks like it just hatched. Another one is pipped and I can see it's beak! I wasn't able to see the rest of the eggs. I'll try and post pictures later today!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my gosh Congratulations!!! Hows mom doing? well mom and gran mom? lol

9. Gossie

Jun 14, 2015
    I'm really, really excited! Buttercup is being really protective right now.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am very happy to hear this. Hopefully tomorrow you'll see even more goslings. Be careful not to scare her off the nest she may trample those precious babies. Hows Papa goose holding up under the stress? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by