I have a polish roo and mixed hens like Sussex, BR, leghorn etc...can I hatch the fertilized eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ldutch123, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    What would I get if I hatched the fertilized eggs that my Floyd (white crested polish) created lol. I don't care about breed and have never hatched eggs before and just don't know whAt you pros would say about this? I have 37 mixed girls. One poor picked on roo. Is it even possible he can fertilize them?

The breeds he is most on are red sex link, cuckoo maran, white leghorn or BR

Also is hatching eggs hard? Should I embark on this when I do receive more Roos? I know I have some EE's that I know will contain a roo or 2 but they r only a week old ;)

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Just open a few eggs (such as when you're making breakfast) and check for the bullseye. As long as a good percentage of your eggs appear fertile, go for it. Designer chickens!

Deb

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you can hatch them. theres no telling what you will get. yes your other rooster can fertilze the hens when your top rooster isnt looking or he's busy with a different hen. ummm depends on what you call hard lol. to me no and yes with incubation

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I have a huge population of different 1/2 Polish and 1/4 Polish right now, go for it! [​IMG]

5. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I have no idea what to do to begin hatching but I may
    look into it. I just received an order of chicks from a hatchery and I just hate them being shipped and I wouldn't mind having some strange combos. I would love to see your polish mixes. Polish are my favorite. At least the 2 I have are Nd I hope the babies I have turn out as sweet as my big girl and boy. I got them from a lady who had a ton of chickens in a small area for egg sales. She was downsizing and I got some silver laced wyndottes and a polish roo And a buff laced polish hen and some others.... They were all looking pretty beat up and then they came home with me!!! I brought 12 chickens home to a 800 square foot coop and 2 fenced acres to run. I feed them fresh treats nice a week and they follow me around the property. I can even pick them up now. They just don't care. My girls are probably 2 or 3 since she was going to off them and they still lay pretty darn good. They have the best **** retirement home ever!! Now they have all my pullet teenagers running with them. They even showed them how to lay in the boxes and the third day all the chickens were mixed together I got my first pullet egg!! I

I

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st you need a good incubator [​IMG] also once you start hatching you will get addicted [​IMG] so beware the hatching bug....lol

7. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Once you start incubating, "Chicken Math" is going to get you. It's not bad, but I don't believe there is a cure. It's kind of wonderful having little fuzzbutts around all of the time.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by