I have a poop picture for ya'll!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindsayB, Nov 30, 2010.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    This morning I went out to the coop and found this in the run...It really scared me. I think its blood in their poop and if it is, how do I help them? FYI ... I have 4 hens (barred rock, red star, 2 ees), all are acting totally normal, they are 37 weeks, except for the red star shes 21 weeks. They eat dumor layer pellets and mana pro conditioning feed. yesterday they had scrambled eggs and the day before they ate my habanero plant, plus the peppers. ( I don't know if those would have anything to do with it...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It looks like it may just be shed intestinal lining in the first pic. The second picture looks slightly more ominous. I'd watch them carefully today, and if you see any more of the dark red blood then I'd treat them for cocci. A quick course of Sulmet or Corid will do the trick. Shed intestinal lining looks different from GI bleeding. GI bleeds are dark red and obviously blood. Shed lining looks bright and not quite like blood.

Good luck with them.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I was giving you a bump, but someone else came in. just wanted to get you some help. hope everything is okay.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    wooo, I feel alittle better now! So far those are the only two red ones. I checked inside the coop and looked at last night's poo and didn't find anything like that. I was afraid one of them had cocci...but shedding the intestinal lining sounds alot better lol! I'll keep an eye on them today. thank you for writing back so fast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by