1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a problem - quarantine failure and more!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 24, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In my one coop I have 10 LF brahma hens. In the other are 15 hens ranging from sex links to turkens.

I was without a capable roo during a predator attack, so decided to seek a couple of roos. A nice BYCer sent me two very handsome, seemingly very capable roos that arrived all the way from Massachusetts yesterday - a cochin/silkie X and a phoenix X. One roo (phoenix X) was intended for my brahma girls, the other (cochin X) for the mixed flock.

I had isolation pens all set up for them, intending to keep them seperate from the hens for awhile. The roosters had other ideas. First one, then the other escaped outside and joined the hens free ranging. So much for quarantine.

Like they had been doing it their whole lives, the boys free ranged with the girls and then went to roost right along with them. A little confused, both roos went in the brahma coop at dusk. No biggie, I caught the cochin X and put him in the mixed coop.

Problem is, the brahma girls are 3+ years old and have decided they don't want a roo. They've been without for several months after we had to euthanize the roo they grew up with for health reasons. The brahmas aren't hurting the little phoenix X, but they are completely ignoring him.

The minute I let them all out this morning the phoenix left the brahma girls to join the mixed flock with the cochin X. I noticed yesterday that the phoenix is definitely the alpha, the cochin the beta. The phoenix had no problem assembling a harem. The cochin has one girl that fell head over heels for him and follows him non-stop.

Both flocks free range all day long. I am uncertain at this point whether I should continue to force the phoenix to live with the much bigger brahmas, swap roos (cochin with brahmas and phoenix with mixed) or let them both live with the mixed flock. I'm inclined to swap roos and put the cochin with the brahmas, but that means he will be seperate from his one little hen. [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Kat, as far as the quarantine failure, water under the bridge, just keep an eye on the boys and make sure they're OK(I'm sure they're fine).
    I would persist in putting the roos where I wanted them. It will take some time for all of the birds to adjust to their new circumstances, but they'll all get the picture and everything will smooth out. The girls will accept the new boy in time.
    No worries-just typical integration confusion. All will be well!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Sheila.

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quite welcome. Peace and harmony will soon reign again!

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I agree.

I would keep putting the Phoe roo in with the big girls.

I am sure your brahma girls think he is a bit young for them [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was just out checking on them.

It's cute watching the little cochin with his somewhat bigger hen, "Annie". Annie has been kinda a spaz since she hatched; always a loner and terrified of all humans. She would freak if I even headed in her direction. Having a roo all to herself seems to have calmed her down. She is following him with stars in her eyes. [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Bringing in some fresh blood may be good for your girls, Kat what with Thor being gone and then the predator attack.
    So glad Annie has found a buddy I hate seeing any of my girls isolate themselves-I worry about them being lonely.

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Good luck Grit. I hope it works out for everyone.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

I just adore it when two chickens "click".

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It doesn't matter whom they are sleeping with. They will breed any hen they want to. If they all free range together, you aren't going to have roosters breeding just the hens you want them to breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by