I Have A Problem!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StaatsFarms, Sep 19, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have two Welsummer roosters that are 3 1/2 months old... one of them is perfectly fine the other however, is a complete A-hole... First of all, he never shuts up (crowing) which doesn't really bother me (I'm just worried about the neighbors)... My main concern is that he is VERY VERY aggressive towards my 5 year old and 2 year old... Every chance he gets (when we let them out to free range or the boys go in the run) he will go after one of them trying to bite them... He has left some pretty good marks on them and now they are "freaked out" by him...He also tries to act a little "tough" with me whenever I go into their run to clean out waterers and feeders... I just swing a leg towards him to get him to back off and he eventually gets the picture... My wife says "get rid of him NOW!!!" but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions about correcting attitude... I would like to try something so I can atleast say I tried, before he meets the dinner table

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    You do not need agrecive roo with children.You naver can fix him fully and trust him

3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You can try holding him down in the pen, he'll scream and the others will come in and take free pecks at him.

This might work, but it might not. Some roosters are just meaner than others. Eat them.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Behavior like that is unacceptable, he should not be attacking your kids. I agree with your wife- get rid of him.

If you're bound and determined to try and fix him, check out rooster-red's page. He has a lot of good advice for dealing with difficult roos.

6. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    ok so the genaral concensus(sp) is to eliminate the problem!!! so my next question is does anyone have any links to detailed butchering??? this will be my first time doing it myself (if i go that way)... I personally want to keep him but gotta follow the bosses rules...lol

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    check out Frugals post I believe it is stickied on the meat section.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I give roosters one chance. However, we have a 3 year old grandson and IMO, roosters and young children don't mix.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I'd warm up that crockpot. Kids come first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by