I have a question about a wound on the tail/rump.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    My horrible rooster Charlie is seperated from the flock in a cage (not too small he has room to move, eat, and drink) because he has a wound on his rump/tail area, causing the tail feathers to stop growing. He was in moult when my mom got him (last year october-ish) and it was mostly his tail area missing the feathers. I remember seeing his tail area red, from testosterone I guess. And through out the months the hens have been picking at it and eating the area. I try to stop them and they do stop for awhile but then they go at it again then stop then do it again. Right now we seperated him because Maddy kept following him and eating at his rump/tail. It disgusted me the most when I saw her eating a little chunk of meat from his tail. The cage has a wooden frame and chicken wire. Charlie hurt himself again this morning when he tried to get out by sticking his nose through the chicken wire, so now his comb has several scabs. Good thing he stopped.
    I'm sorry but I am not able to take a picture. He is aggresive towards me and much of his saddle feathers have grown, so even if I try to look under I can't see anything.
    My question is how long will he have to stay in the cage? How long will it take for the tissue to heal and the feathers to grow back?

If this helps with the severity of the wound any, I remember last year seeing blood against the wood of the coop and sometimes blood on the sidewalk. Yesterday there was blood on our front door steps. The hens do pick at it at night aswell.

Also, what can I do to help speed up the process of healing? As much as I dislike Charlie I never want to see my girls doing any sort of cannibilism.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some Neosporin on the wound might help. You need to watch the others closely to see if they start this with another one.

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Alright, but how long will it take to heal? I don't want Charlie to be in that cage forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by