I have a question about Automatic Egg Turners- Hovabator 1602n

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mattfulleroc, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mattfulleroc

mattfulleroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    I have a hova-bator 1602n with an added fan...I am having trouble getting the temperature to stay within range but finally was able to get it to be manageable and began incubating eggs. However, every time I open it to turn eggs it becomes problematic and is all over the place. I know it is wrong to keep adjusting it...and am wondering if it would be OK to add an egg turner now that I have already begun incubating or would this cause even more problems due to the added heat from the motor of the turner in terms of getting the temperature point right? I called the feed store and they have a little giant turner for $54.00

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    The temp sensor is probably acting strange, unless there is a major difference in room/incubator temps. Adding the auto turner might add a couple degrees to your bator, but that can be re-adjusted in a couple hours.

I would ignore the immediate spikes when opening the bator. Give the temp sensor about 10 minutes to make a correct reading.

An auto turner will save you alot of trouble in the long run, i would suggest purchasing it, and you can use it on the eggs already cooking.

3. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    go for egg turner, I have one in my bator, the egg turner will be doing the job for you:D
    I'm on disability right now, so I have time to doit myself.

4. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010
    Thank you! They had a little giant turner at the feed store. I will be installing it in about an hour. I believe, upon closer inspection, that the thermostsat may have been compromised due to s small crack in the styrofoam..it looks almost as if the two screws which hold it in place were tightened too much and the crack runs from this screw to the holr the plug is coming out of...making a recessed sort of dip for the thermostat component. I am sorry as I am not good at describing this type of thing but I think this might be contributing to the problem I have had controlling the set point. Do you think this is possibly the case? Im not sure how to address this if it is the issue..I suppose I will find out soon if it is in fact still having problems later on in the night when it should finally catch up after the turning of the eggs..

Anyway, thanks for the advice on the turner. I think it will be helpful even if the issue is in fact elsewhere.

5. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    If your bator have cracks and its in the end of his life, there is another option just cover it with a piece of cotton wool and then add resin (the one for use in subwoofer boxes) and then wait till is dry and you will have a stronger bator. Of course you need to do it after eggs has been hatched.
    This is the way that I'll go, if someday got a crack in it.

6. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I had the same problem with my 1602n, and putting in an autoturner made the problem tenfold worse. After 3 hatches died from the motor spiking temps, then lowering temps when turned off for lockdown, I had enough.

Incubators are one of those items where it's worth your time to pay more. My husband saved up money and bought me a Brinsea Octo. It was pricey, but at least it doesn''t buck temperatures high and low like an overly dramatic teenager. It's faithful and steady, and I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by