I have a question about behaviors?? Opinions PLEASE !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by realsis, Feb 9, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    im trying to start a very small flock of four silkies. As you all know silkies are very difficult to sex. Ive already went through two cockerels and had to re home them. I cant have cockerels where i live. I have two confirmed females. I noticed when i had the cockerels they never pecked my females during meal time. They always shared a meal peacefully with them. Well, I got two new birds PRAYING they are female!!!! however I noticed that BOTH the new birds peck on my females during meal time. I know the chicken has a "pecking" order but i never seen this with the cockerels? is this a sign that I might have gotten females this time?? What do you think? please answer.[​IMG]I notice this behavior every time they have a meal. my cockerels NEVER did this?? I was wondering is this a sign of females?? DO they get that way during a meal?? Thank you so much for your opinions!!![​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The behavior of disturbing others eating is a pecking order thing. Cockerels can do it, but hens I believe are more likely. So in my opinion it is still a wait ad see.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    thanks so much!! yes, i will wait,I sure hope they are pullets this time!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by