I have a question about eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StormyMoon, Jul 19, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I know my girls are laying fertile eggs , if I wanted to collect say 12 of them where do I put them so they can all incubate at the exact same times?
    Can I keep them in my fridge ( cold ) until I am ready to incubate under a broody? and if I do that should I warm them with my hands before placing them under her?

If I can how long will they stay good for? Cause it takes me 7 days to collect 12 eggs.

Thanks for any info......

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I usually keep mine in the garage, but I'm sure it's much hotter where you live then it is here. People have incubated fridge eggs, but you won't get the best hatch rate that way. I'd keep them in a cool (relatively speaking) room in the house and turn them a couple times a day. Do you have a broody hen now or are you just asking for when one of your hens does go broody?

ETA: They'll be fine like that for a week and I've had good hatches with eggs that were in the garage for two weeks, but ten days or so is the usuall cut-off for collecting.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have a hen that keeps acting like she wants to go broody but I keep snagging her eggs she isn't very happy about it.
    I have 2 already broody hens on eggs in the house cause it was 106 today its been really hot the past few days. I am trying to learn the process of how hens do this keep a whole clutch and making sure they all hatch around about the same day. I worry about them becoming exhausted and I would hate for one to quit being broody in the middle of 1 - 21 days, I don't own a incubater but I am sure I could get one of the other hens to sit for me.

One hen is due to hatch eggs this wed I looked at all of them ( candled ) and they all appear to be developed properly, she has been checking under her now every so often as if she expects something to happen where before she had just been sitting and not moving for days on days.

I am very new at this but putting them in here where it is cool could work too .......just would like to hear people who have done this a long time and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by