I have a question about hens and chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by c.wilson, Jul 6, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    Hello everyone. I have a question for anyone willing to answer this. I have 1 white silkie hen with 3 chicks about a month old. I also have 4 other white silkie hens that are all sitting on eggs that are due to hatch some where between July 7 - July 11. I read some where that if a hen with chicks sees another hen with chicks that dont match her own brood it was said that the hens will kill eachother or the other chicks. YIKES!!!! I dont want that to happen if that is true, that would be so devestating. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :| [​IMG]

I would like to know if that is true.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

Thanks for anyone who helps me.

I want to know before tragity strikes and they get killed.

OHHHHHH and i almost forgot something. If that is true should I separate them into different cages and if so for how long. Sorry for the so many questions but ive never had so many hens go broody at once. And ive also never hatched so many chicks before at one time either. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Once again thanks for anyone who helps me and answers my questions [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont think that is true. I have silkies and they all share mothering responsibilities. Even my silkie rooster helps to raise the chicks. I even got some month old chicks from the feed store and my silkie flock all raised them up, including the rooster. They are the best and will raise anything for you. I had 3 silkies with chicks at the same time and mt other silkies helped them. I dont think you need to worry. But for your own peace of mind just keep a cloeser eye on them at first when the babies come. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    OK thank you so much for the advice. Do you have any pics of your silkies and their chicks. i would love to see them. unfortunalty i dont know how to post pics so i cant show you my silkies.

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    here is a non-bearded buff with a baby ameraucana

[​IMG]

this is my splash silkie rooster sharing watermelon with one of the blue-laced chicks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    silkie mom's with their non silkie chicks
    [​IMG]
    splash silkie roo
    [​IMG]

this is a baby hatched from my silkies this year. I have let friends hatch some of my eggs and
    they all seem to come out this color even though i have whites and buffs and i only have one blue pullet and i dont even think she was laying yet
    [​IMG]

5. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Your lil silkie splash/blue in your last pic is cute. Guess you know who is your Roo's favorite girl [​IMG]

6. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Anything that moves (or not) is his favorite girl [​IMG] Last night i think he mis-took my maltese for one of the white silkies.

7. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    [​IMG] do you mean he mated with the maltese? WOW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    c.wilson :

[​IMG] do you mean he mated with the maltese? WOW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

He sure tried. He chased the 'male maltese' all over the yard. Richie ran....but when the rooster got close to him he started doing the rooster dance and i would yell "richie run" and he would. It was so funny......i wish someone was in the yard to laugh with me.​

9. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    [​IMG] thats hilarious. i bet "richie" didnt know what to think.

10. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    hey lurkey. do you have any more pics of your silkies? if so could you post them here pease so i can see.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by