i have a question about sand...

6henslvr

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
virginia
hi. I would love to put sand in my run for my girls...i v'e heard it is really good to use and i know my chickens will love it. But where i live it gets VERY windy and i'm afraid it will blow away. If anyone has sand and wind id love your input so i know if i should get it or not, thanks!

Put boards around the run to build up the sides lie a box, and most of your sand will stay inside

5/4 X 6 "deck" boards work great, and will make it about 6-7" deep

I used river sand, which is coarser then typical builders sand. I found that my chickens dug around the perimeter of the run, throwing the sand further into the run. My run has a trench around the inside where the chickens moved the sand into the run. So I haven't lost any sand.

Chris

okay, thanks for your answers! I actually already have the boards you were talking about. where could i get the river sand (besides the river!) or course sand? I was planning on getting my sand from timberland mulch or hilltop mulch but i don't know if they'd have that kind or not...?

Look on craigslist Landscape Companies or the Yellow Pages under Sand & Gravel. Tell them you want Coarse River Sand and if you tell them how big of a area you want to cover and how deep you want it to be - they can figure out how many yards to bring you. They sell it by the cubic yard ( much much cheaper than bags from Lowes) They will bring it in with a dump truck and then you get the fun of hauling it into you pens.

Back
Top Bottom