I have a question about...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvanimals3, Apr 5, 2009.

1. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Ok so my dad took my construction permit away and I asked my boyfriend if I could make a chicken tractor and place it in his goat pasture. And I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of making it goat proof? Lol! You know how they love to climb!

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

How about instead of hardware cloth on top like some folks do, have a plywood top all the way across the top. The chickens will have shade that way too. It could be sloped really steep maybe?

Or maybe one of the Ark triangular designs. There wouldn't be much to climb on. There are a bunch of ark designs here:

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Oh that website is great! We agreed to do one like you suggested! Thanks

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to have helped a tiny bit.

I would love to see pics when your done!

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    LOVE that website as well.

I'm getting ready to move my 10 girls out to their 12 x 12 coop this week.

I plan to keep them shut in for about 2 wks while I get the dog kennel run moved over and preditor proof. It'll be about 12' x 20 with bark chips that are already in place.

I want to build a tractor that I'll be able to move myself every other day around my HUGE front and backyard so some of the girls can eat grass.

My question is - would it be ok to split the girls up on a rotational basis and let a few of the chicks be in the tractor during the day while the rest are in the coop and run or will that fowl up their pecking order?

6. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:I will do that! I have pictures of my outside brooder and my other big coop that I need to post.

7. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the lovely paint jobs I have yet to finish them. It was darker out when I took the pictures so they arent very good!

8. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

LOVE that website as well.

I'm getting ready to move my 10 girls out to their 12 x 12 coop this week.

I plan to keep them shut in for about 2 wks while I get the dog kennel run moved over and preditor proof. It'll be about 12' x 20 with bark chips that are already in place.

I want to build a tractor that I'll be able to move myself every other day around my HUGE front and backyard so some of the girls can eat grass.

My question is - would it be ok to split the girls up on a rotational basis and let a few of the chicks be in the tractor during the day while the rest are in the coop and run or will that fowl up their pecking order?

Im not sure but I am sure someone here can help!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by