I have a question after candling...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ArabiansR2Cool, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

I candled my BBS Orp eggs that are on day 15. They all looked good and were all moving around. One of them, however, looks like it was so much smaller. If I hadn't seen it move, I would have thrown it out thinking that it stopped developing about a week ago.

All of the eggs went in on the same day. Is this within the limits of normal? What are the odds that this one will die before hatching? Or, would it just hatch a few days later? I've never had one so much smaller but still alive.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would just leave it. Who knows why it is smaller. [​IMG] It may not really be smaller, just an illusion.

Good Luck!

3. ArabiansR2Cool

No, it's a lot smaller. There's a lot more space in the egg that the light just goes through. I'm going to leave it regardless to see what happens.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure that it moved? Could it be possible that you moved your hand a tiny bit and it wiggled?

5. ArabiansR2Cool

I thought that might have been it at first. So I put my hand on the table so I couldn't possibly move it, and the little chick was still jumping around! He (hopefully she!) is a little fighter [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  6. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Good luck! Keep us posted.
    sandyj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by