I have a question before I buy this hen *updated*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stone_family3, Dec 4, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    This chicken was hatched this year and isn't laying yet. Her mother is a Black australorp/Easter Egger Mix and lays Olive Eggs. This chicken's father is a Welsummer. Does this mean the pullet will lay Olive eggs?

Well today I picked her up, she was only $8 and both parents were on site. Previous owner said she was hatched in August.
    [​IMG]
    IMAG1618 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMAG1622 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:IF she lays a colored egg it would most likely be Olive, but theres no garentee that she will lay a colored egg, could be anywhere from light tint tan to an Olive color possibly even white but doubtful. its all in the roll of the Dice.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If the father's a welsummer and the mother lays an olive egg I'd say the egg will be olive or medium to dark brown.

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    If it has a single comb, brown eggs
    If it has a pea comb, most likely olive

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for your help everyone, I took the gamble and got her anyways. She's kinda skittish but is sweet.

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:That could be right but I have had EE with a straight comb lay green eggs and some with pea combs lay brown. Its a throw of the dice you won't know until you find the egg! I hope you get the terracotta egg (dark brown) !

Your hen looks great by the way!

Nate

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:That could be right but I have had EE with a straight comb lay green eggs and some with pea combs lay brown. Its a throw of the dice you won't know until you find the egg! I hope you get the terracotta egg (dark brown) !

Your hen looks great by the way!

Nate

Agreed. There comb does not always tell the egg color for EE's. My parents have a EE who lays brown eggs.

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Aw! She's really cute! She's going to be a real beauty when she's all grown up! I would have taken her, too! But I like interesting looking birds slightly more than I care about their egg color.

I hope she lays nice olive eggs for you, but it really is a roll of the dice. I have a friend who I gave an EE chick to last spring. I wanted to make sure I gave her a PULLET and one that was likely to lay colored eggs. So I gave her the EE (straight run from the feed store) with the flattest, most non-existent comb, and kept the one with the straight comb for myself (plus 2 that I wasn't sure of sex yet--they are both girls that lay green eggs!) Guess what? Her EE that I gave her, who still has a very small flat comb (like my 2 EE's, they have more of what I'd call cushion than pea) lays light brown eggs. [​IMG] Meanwhile, the one I kept b/c she had what looked like a straight comb at the time, now has a foldy straight cross comb and lays beautiful dark BLUE eggs!!! EE's are strange that way. Like Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." I'd say EE's are the same. [​IMG]

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I used to think that if they had pea combs they would lay either blue or green eggs but after crossing a few to my other birds I found out its not always the case. One of my ee mixes lays a cream colored egg and she has a straight comb. Another who has a pea comb lays or used to lay a very blue egg. Another had a cross between a pea comb and a straight comb which looked bizzare, she laid a pink egg. I think you will just have to wait and see what she surprises you with. She is a beauty!

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I thought I remember seeing on here that if the mother lays olive eggs the babies are more likely to lay them as well. I love barnyard mixes mostly because they have a unique look, however I am a sucker for beautiful eggs on my spring chick list are Marans and welsummers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by