I have a question for the experienced chick raisers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie1, Feb 8, 2012.

1. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    I have 15 9 week old pullets in a insulated coop outside. I live in central Wisconsin where it can get very cold, especially at night. Some nights, not too many this year, it can go well below zero. I currently have 2 250 watt heat lights in there, but do turn off one when it gets nice. What I am wondering is, how long do I actually need to keep any heat in there on them? I want them to be as comfortable as necessary but would also like a lower electric bill [​IMG] ! Any one with any advice, thank you in advance!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You could have pulled the plug at 6 or 7 weeks of age. Chickens don't need any assistance. They are fully feathered and plenty able to fluff their feathers, ball up on their feet to sleep and cuddle with each other.

Give your poor electric bill a break!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    So glad someone else asked we have some 7 and 9 week old babies in the feed house with a heat lamp and I was wondering the same thing. We have 1 week and 4 week old babies in the house, I may move the 4 week old ones out to the feed house this next week with a heat lamp. But it will be nice not to have to be supplying heat to those older babes.

Cathie

4. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    look in the coop design section, under the helpful threads.

i use deep litter in an very partially insulated draft free coop.

the birds have never needed a heater here in upstate NY. as a matter of fact, i have some weird chickens who prefer to roost outside. now. in winter.
    i throw them in the hen house when the temperature dips below 20, only to save their combs from frostbite.

i heat their water (with a home built 60 watt heater) only when the temp is below 20, just to save me work breaking ice out of their bowl.

hope that helps, think spring!

lou

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you want to transition them to no heat you can always provide a 100 watt bulb for a while to get them used to less heat.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    x2

8. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to giving my electric bill a break. [​IMG] I think I will do the 100 watt bulb thing for a few days before I completely shut it off. Thank you again. You all always have such good advice and knowledge to share. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by