I have a question for the Silkie people out there....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coop-er, Dec 6, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I am intrigued by this breed and am thinking of adding to my flock. My question is--am I able to add this breed in with my other birds? Is it best to just have Silkies or can they "mix" with birds of other breeds? I currently have RIR, Golden Sebright, Rhodebar, and Swedish Flower. I prefer to have a variety as opposed to a single breed but will only mix-up birds who seem to get along ok. Any insight is helpful. Thank you.

2. Ringgoldvol

Ringgoldvol Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Ringgold GA
    I have had Silkies since I started raising chickens and have never mixed them with any other breeds. Really it was by choice. I know they are a small breed and out of all the breeds I have had they are the most loving and have a tremendous amount of character. More like pets. I have never mixed mine because I don't want them being picked on all the time. I also breed mine and my rooster is very protective of his hen and little ones. If I throw in bread or scraps he will pull off bite size pieces for the little ones and the hen before he eats. He will also spread out one wing as a shield and push against my leg to protect them. I guess I wouldn't mix them because they are too much like pets to me. Here's a couple of pics. Snow and her chicks, chick for size perspective and Coal the Rooster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Yes! And those are the reasons why I would like to get some of these birds, I hear quite a bit about how wonderful they are. My Sebrights are very small as well and I was concerned the other birds may pick on them but they are all very gentle and get along. This is why I began thinking I may be able to put a few Silkies in with them. I love your birds, they are quite beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by