I have a question regarding ebay..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mom 2em All, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I placed a bid for something on January 18th. The auction is over tomorrow some time.

On the 21st, the seller added a message to the auction that says:

On Jan-21-09 at 13:13:17 PST, seller added the following information:

SHIPPING MAY BE HIGHER THAN CALCULATOR READS.

BUYER MUST PAY ALL SHIPPING COST.

THE LAST BATCH I SHIPPED OUT COST $3.00 MORE THAN THE CALCULATOR READ.

SORRY .

Can a seller actually do that? Can you up the cost of an item after someone has bid on it when posted a different way?

It doesn't seem right to me.

2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    No. It is against Ebay regulations to change a item in ANY WAY that effects the price of that item, once a bid has been placed.

Adding more detail or product information is fine. But not increasing the price or shipping on an item.

You have every right to withdraw your bid and file a complaint against the seller.

I know because Ebay is my job. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Report that to ebay! My understanding of ebay policy is that after a bid has been made the listing cannot be edited.

I sell on ebay a lot, and I can attest to the fact that the shipping calculator on ebay is rarely accurate.

Without seeing the listing, I can't say for sure I am right. Post the link or the auction number and I'll take a look.

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

No. It is against Ebay regulations to change a item in ANY WAY that effects the price of that item, once a bid has been placed.

You have every right to withdraw your bid and file a complaint against the seller.

Thank you. I didn't bid high, but I am the highest bidder- and I would rather not give my money to someone who manipulates an auction like that. There are too many choices of sellers to choose from that I would rather support. Ones that say, "well shoot- the next auctionI start, I better make that clear, because that cost more than planned."​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by