I have a question regarding the wording changes in posts

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by curliet, Oct 30, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Now, first, I want you to know that I'm not trying to be contentious, or start any trouble or anything. Just being curious. [​IMG]

When I make a post that includes the word CR*P, it automatically gets turned into the word poop. Why is Cr*p worse than poop? Also, when I think "Cr*p", i think of something generic that just isn't very nice. Like, It's a cr*ppy day", for instance. But when I say, or think "poop", I get the image of, well, poop.

So, like I said, not trying to make an issue, just wondering why cr*p is bad, poop is good.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    ditto... [​IMG]

3. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    The word ____ was always considered a rude word in our house. I would always get scolded as a child using it. The word poop was just a cutesy word for POOP. "the dog has to go poop" "the kid has a poopy diaper" I believe it's not perceived to be as offensive to the general populous. That's why they even say it on children s programs like RugRats. You don't hear the rugrats saying "Phil has a _______ diaper"

I do prefer the word poop as opposed to _____ myself, too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Curliet, just had to say [​IMG] as I hadn't seen you around here before as of yet. I work in Wyoming, MI! [​IMG]

I think the substitution is probably due to the fact that this is a family-friendly site (rated "G" at least as much as animal husbandry can get), but if you're curious, PM one of the mods or Nifty-Chicken to find out.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I found out that if you spell it like the fish, the auto-edit doesn't change it-- usually. I have the same consternation with another word edit when "darn-it" just doesn't fit the circumstances a bit. [​IMG]

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:Helga in hey arnold! said "what is this cr*p" in the episode where she makes arnold a love poem and then rereads it when she gets hypnotized to not like him no more.

7. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:Helga in hey arnold! said "what is this cr*p" in the episode where she makes arnold a love poem and then rereads it when she gets hypnotized to not like him no more.

Well, you're right about that. And I think I have heard Stewie say a few choice words from "the family guy" as well as Bart Simpson from time to time. Maybe I should have chosen a PBS cartoon instead of the Crazy NICKTOONS! You just never know what they might put out there!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* yep, some of the "kid's" cartoons are getting pretty shocking at times. That's why DH and I watch qubo or pbs. [​IMG]

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    thing about FG and simpsons is they are TV MA only. rugrats and hey arnold are for younger audiences. Thats what gets me.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some of the words are filtered in the software so they get changed up. The ones in chat filtered are also different than on the forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by