I have a question..

Silhouette

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2015
Hi,I'm new to BYC.I'm hoping someone can answer my question.I found a blue egg (I think its from a Song Thrush) on the ground and have put it under my dove (she has just started incubating her own egg as well) and I was wondering,if it hatches out can it survive on her 'pigeon milk' instead of their usual diet of worms and insects? Thanks

If it is a bird that normally feeds on insect protein, I doubt that it could survive on pigeon milk/grains. Also the feeding methods of the two species are quite different. Most birds place feed in the wide open mouths of their young, but squabs place their bills insides their parents mouths and the parents 'pump' feed to the young.

Hi,I'm new to BYC.I'm hoping someone can answer my question.I found a blue egg (I think its from a Song Thrush) on the ground and have put it under my dove (she has just started incubating her own egg as well) and I was wondering,if it hatches out can it survive on her 'pigeon milk' instead of their usual diet of worms and insects? Thanks
Is it powder blue that sounds like a redbreasted robin.

If it is a bird that normally feeds on insect protein, I doubt that it could survive on pigeon milk/grains. Also the feeding methods of the two species are quite different. Most birds place feed in the wide open mouths of their young, but squabs place their bills insides their parents mouths and the parents 'pump' feed to the young.
Try a can of wet dog food evry bird I found depending on the stage of growth I would take a toothpic load it up and those little one's couldent get enuff! Try it! It never failed me or my dinner guest!

Back
Top Bottom