I have a question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flwrldy, Nov 7, 2017.

1. flwrldy

flwrldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    I have a question...yesterday or the night before I introduced 2 new chickens (silkies) to the flock the way Justin Rhodes said to do it, by putting them in at night, and the chickens think they’ve always been there. Worked great! No issues. Our daughter gave us these 2 new ones. Everything is going great, everyone’s getting along, well Miss Violet (an EE) did let them know yesterday that she’s head hen, but nothing bad. The 2 roosters are actually kind of protective of the new silky hens. Anyway my question is, how long do I keep these two locked in the coop and the run so they get used to it being home before I let them free range? I notice they hang out in the coop much more then in the run and stick together.
    I had to get them because I have a white crested black Polish that is being picked on because he’s the oddball and small. I’m hoping and praying that this works because they are also different being silkies, than my New Hampshire Reds, Buff Orphington‘s, and my Easter Eggars.

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I'd be concerned about letting Silkies or Polish free range....is there any way for them to have their own set-up?

flwrldy likes this.
  3. Spruceroost

Spruceroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    Are these baby chicks? If so, I'm also concerned about the set up. For one, I've had baby Silkies taken out by rats who dug under the coop. 2nd, it's getting cold and they need heat.

If they are grown Silkies, what I did with mine was cage them within eyesight of the group and in a week I put them in. Worked great.

CapricornFarm and flwrldy like this.
  4. flwrldy

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    Oh no they are full grown. Almost 2 years old, and older then my hens I’ve had, that I added these two to.
    Okay sounds great! Thank you!

CapricornFarm likes this.
  5. flwrldy

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    No, but they free ranged at my daughters for the past 2 years with no issues. She is even deeper in the woods then we are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by